-
Junior Member
registered user
help needed - printer configuration / knoppix 5.3.1 Live DVD
--------Help needed --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I have read the most of the hints
I have found at google by searching for the English error-message ("create the foomatic driver")
(I got 55 hits) - I have found some interesting hints - because I am a newbie with Knoppix
its very difficult to test the ideas without making any mistakes (so that I am able to differ what is a new
mistake and what is the basic problem)
The first question is - has anybody got any printer running
with knoppix working on a Live DVD 5.3.1 without any harddisk
or is the problem system based because there a foomatic driver must be created
(internal by the printer configuration script)
and mayby this is only on the DVD and not on the ramdisk???
(Am I right that when working with Live System a part of Knoppix resists in the ramdisk
but some parts are used from the DVD direct?)
The error message don't tells on which directory path the foomatic driver is
not able to be created.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,
when I try to install the printer lexmark X74 under Knoppix 5.3.1 liv CD, I get the following error message:
================================================== ====
Unable to load the requested driver:
Unable to create the Foomaticdriver[Lexmark/x74?Lxx74]
<OK>
================================================== ====
Nevertheless ther was a button <Test> which start window
telling to wait for the output - but there is no output
Details:
=======
I use the german version.
- Penguin menue - Configure - configure Printer(s)
<Add> Button
Introdution <Next> Button
selected: Local printer *parallel, serial, USB)
<Next> Button
Selection in Tree:
Local Szstem
- USB
- LexmarkAll in One
- USB#1
- Lexmark All in One
Field 'URI' contains: usb:&&Lexmark%20/n%200ne
<Next> Button
message> Please wait while KDE rebuilds a driver database.
Window for Printer and Model Selection>
Manufacturer:Lexmark Modell: X74
not selected checkbox: post script printer
not selected checkbox: Raw printer (no driver needed)
<Next> Button
the the error message as above appears
Hint
====
I have googled the full day - tested restart of cupsd
tested remove and reinstall packages with atp/get ... as in http>&&www.kanotix.com...
My opinion is that a printer should be installed
without needing many tricks - in the whole if the
printer is in the configuration menue listed (means correct detected)
So I am at the end with fun of checking the problem and I hope
that anybody would help me. Thanks in advance. (-;
Questions
==========
1.
Is configration a printer allowed on a live system without harddisk
2.
does anybody know, why I can not find the driver Lexmark/X74.lxx74
using the locate-command on the ramdisk
3.
Has anybody any other idea
Hint
====
For getting more detailed debugging entries in the logfile - I have found hints on http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux_mini/...#basicprconfig.
However these entries give no clear information about my problem. If someone would need I
will test it again.
Similar Threads
-
By jtouso in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-04-2008, 05:34 PM
-
By comfortably numb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM
-
By ira in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 30
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 04:43 AM
-
By cherry in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-11-2004, 02:05 PM
-
By cherry in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$305.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00