Have you set a password for root & knoppix?
Under the KNOPPIX menu there is a function to set root password.
Using the "Root shell" doto set a password for knoppix.Code:passwd knoppix
John
Hello. I installed Knoppix 5.3.1 on my PC. I wanted to go into MANAGE SOFTWARE PACKAGE,and i was asked for my password. I entered the password,and i received the message "CONVERSATION WITH SUDO FAILED. I triyed different programms from Knoppix,that required password,but everytime i got the same message. Can anyone tell me,please,what can i do? Is that a bug from the OS ? What am i doing wrong?? Please help me guys,i like this distro,i don't wanna give up,and i hope there is a solution to fix that.Thanks in advance,cheers.
Have you set a password for root & knoppix?
Under the KNOPPIX menu there is a function to set root password.
Using the "Root shell" doto set a password for knoppix.Code:passwd knoppix
John
I set my password when i installed the OS. If i wouldn't have a password,i couldn't log in,after reboot,because after the reboot,i have to put my password. I have to try as you said, thanks a lot.
I did the passwd in the terminal and that went fine but when i try to use Knoppix-configer sound card I get the, conversation with sudo FAILED Also is there a way to log on as root?
In the KNOPPIX menu there is an entry to open a "root terminal".
Then use aptitude.
You need a persistent HOME for packages to stay around.![]()
I had to use aptitude to install aptitude & synaptic before I could use MANAGE SOFTWARE PACKAGE in the KNOPPIX menu.
Now MANAGE SOFTWARE PACKAGE from the KNOPPIX menu should work.Code:aptitude update aptitude install aptitude aptitude install synaptic
John
Did what you said
Still when i try to use Knoppix-configer sound card I get the, conversation with sudo FAILED Also is there a way to log on as root? Thanks for the suggestion, any other idea's
have you tried to open a root console from the knoppix menu?
if that does not work, (thinking), trytyping in a regular console
tCode:sudo su
then hit enter did that work, did the symbl to the left of the cursor change from $ to #, good, the # means you are typing as root.
now you just type passwd root when you see the # to the left.
should cure this.
if nothing above did work, humm. ok now we get down to the console and the real power.
I KNOW this looks complicated (and is), i will try to be precise and take it step by step.
First boot using knoppix dvd/CD then you remount mount the / partition OF YOUR INSTALL (should be a icon on the desktop) read write.
the "/"partition is as high as you can go, it should have several folders among them
when that is done (right click the icon and choose change read write mode)bin
boot
dev
etc
home
lib
...
...
let us say it is hda1 from now on (you just change that particular part to suit you)
you open a console and type.
hit enterCode:mount|grep hda1
you should get something like this
now we know that we have the content under /mnt/hda1/dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 type ext3 (rw)
now you type
hit enterCode:sudo su
then type
hit enterCode:chroot /mnt/hda1
now you are inside your installed knoppix (hopefully).
now you should be able to set a password for root
type in the new root password and hit enter (no ****** will apear, just keep typing, it is as it should be).Code:passwd root
you will be asked to retype root password, do that and hit enter.
you have now changed the root password of the installed knoppix.
typeand hit enter then reboot the computer.Code:exit
hope this helps. if not keep asking.
EDIT
you also asked for a way to log in as root, try typing knoppix 1 when it is booting, that should put you inside as root in admin mode.
The easy way to fix that, is to show hidden files & go to "/home/your_user_name/.kde/share/config", while in normal login mode.
Edit the "kdesurc " file & change it from "super-user-command=sudo" to "super-user-command=su", save the file change. You should be able to, manage as per normal now.
This is NOT a new fix, this was used on 5.11 as well.
I wanted to go into MANAGE SOFTWARE PACKAGE,and i was asked for my password. I entered the password,and i received the message "CONVERSATION WITH SUDO FAILED.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99