ok, so I'm trying to squeeze some use out of a friend's laptop. I put the 5.1.1 cd in, and it consistntly hangs while configuring the network during boot. I thought it might be easier to get while the system is running, so I passed it
knoppix nodhcp
as a boot option. starts up fine, but its not configured, and I don't know that much about linux networking. anyway, I try ifup eth0, and it hangs. completely frozen. this is in the terminal, outside of x. I searched these forums, and I found that I should try
wlcardconfig
pump -i eth1
wlcardconfig confirmed that the wireless was eth1, but it asked for a bunch of things I didn't know. I just hit enter through all the screens, hoping the defaults were right, or could be autoconfigged.
pump -i eth1 hung it again though.
I searched he forums again, but I couldn't find anything about it hanging like that. What should eb my next source of information? If the forums are appropriate, please tell me anything relevant. I am eager to learn!

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)
$150.00
(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00