no one done that before?![]()
I want to call a program that draws a graphic to the framebuffer during startup. I realized that I have to start that program in
linuxrc. But as soon as I change more than one line in linuxrc (inside miniroot.gz inside boot.img) the boot process breaks. Although if I just change something at the end of the script, its behavior changes already in the beginning (e.g. when it scans the different partitions for the Knoppix CD, it writes the pink lines *under* each other instead of *replacing* them /hda1 /hda2 ... etc)
How do I edit linuxrc correctly? Does it have to stay in the same size or why am I having this trouble?
I have tried it several times on different machines. Here is what I did:
loop-mount boot.img
unpack initrd.gz
loop-mount initrd.gz
edit linuxrc with kwrite
unmount initrd
pack initrd
replace initrd.gz
Where is the mistake?
no one done that before?![]()
unfortunatelyif I have some free time I will try to add something to it, but I don't know whet it will be.
could *please* anyone who has successfully edited linuxrc explain how exactly you did it? I'm becoming crazy on this...
Ok, i tried with success:
loop-mount boot.img
unpack miniroot.gz
loop-mount miniroot.gz
edit linuxrc with vim
unmount miniroot
pack miniroot (gzip -9)
replace miniroot.gz
umount boot.img
Thanks a lot!Originally Posted by Pasq
I did exactly the same (of course I meant miniroot instead of initrd above), except that I used kwrite and I didn't use "9" at gzip. I'll try whether this makes a difference.
Thanks
probono
We will see.
You won't believe it - now it works indeed! Seems as if kwrite messed up the file. Now that I was using only mcedit everything works fineOriginally Posted by Pasq
Thanks a *lot* for your help!
no problem![]()
This is caused by editing the file with kwrite or kate (and some other editors).(e.g. when it scans the different partitions for the Knoppix CD, it writes the pink lines *under* each other instead of *replacing* them /hda1 /hda2 ... etc)
The linuxrc script creates a variable called CRE which is set to an ascii string containing a carriage return and then a code to clear the screen to the end of the current line.
This is how the script makes those lines write over each other - it precedes each output line with this CRE string.
The problem is that kwrite and kate change the carriage return to a carriage return *and* line feed. When you write out your modified file you also write out the change to the CRE string and then when you boot with that linuxrc things will look a bit strange. If you edit linuxrc with kate or kwrite and look for the line beginning with CRE, you'll see that it is actually split over two lines.
The command line editor "ed" doesn't mess up the line and apparently neither does mcedit.
I still use kate to edit linuxrc but I have written shell scripts to extract linuxrc from the minirt26.gz file and then to put it back again. The script which puts it back again uses "ed" to fix up the CRE string before it copies linuxrc back into minirt26.gz..
Best Wishes
Pete

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Dell Precision 3541 Laptop i5-9300H 2.4GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro
$189.99
128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original
$39.88
Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC
$4.95