Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: running out of space

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8

    running out of space

    I am running Knoppix on my laptop. I have 192 meg of memory. That isn't alot. When I run apt-get update, I run out of memory. I would like
    to take the relevant directories and remount them on a large usb drive. I can't quite figure out the mount remount syntax. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re: running out of space

    Quote Originally Posted by doglover
    I am running Knoppix on my laptop. I have 192 meg of memory. That isn't alot. When I run apt-get update, I run out of memory. I would like
    to take the relevant directories and remount them on a large usb drive. I can't quite figure out the mount remount syntax. Any ideas?

    Running out of RAM is not the same as running out of hard drive space.
    If you are short on RAM then moving files to a larger hard drive will not make much difference.

    You need to set aside a swap space of around 500MB. You can also try starting a desktop with a lower memory footprint like xfce.
    The knoppix cheatcode
    desktop=xfce

    is one way around this. You can even work in console mode by changing to init 2 and running apt-get update from the console.

Similar Threads

  1. running out of disk space when cp -Rp
    By loonix in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2007, 12:01 AM
  2. What to do with all the space on the 4.0 dvd
    By NAvAP in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 06:52 AM
  3. need more tmp space
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 05:18 AM
  4. not enough space ?!
    By Rapt0r in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
  5. Running Knoppix in without the X Server running....
    By Raineri in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Coolant Vacuum 5 Adapters AirEvac Cooling System Refiller Kit w/ 5 Adapters picture

Coolant Vacuum 5 Adapters AirEvac Cooling System Refiller Kit w/ 5 Adapters

$108.74



Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard picture

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard

$17.99



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67