Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: running out of space

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8

    running out of space

    I am running Knoppix on my laptop. I have 192 meg of memory. That isn't alot. When I run apt-get update, I run out of memory. I would like
    to take the relevant directories and remount them on a large usb drive. I can't quite figure out the mount remount syntax. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re: running out of space

    Quote Originally Posted by doglover
    I am running Knoppix on my laptop. I have 192 meg of memory. That isn't alot. When I run apt-get update, I run out of memory. I would like
    to take the relevant directories and remount them on a large usb drive. I can't quite figure out the mount remount syntax. Any ideas?

    Running out of RAM is not the same as running out of hard drive space.
    If you are short on RAM then moving files to a larger hard drive will not make much difference.

    You need to set aside a swap space of around 500MB. You can also try starting a desktop with a lower memory footprint like xfce.
    The knoppix cheatcode
    desktop=xfce

    is one way around this. You can even work in console mode by changing to init 2 and running apt-get update from the console.

Similar Threads

  1. running out of disk space when cp -Rp
    By loonix in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2007, 12:01 AM
  2. What to do with all the space on the 4.0 dvd
    By NAvAP in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 06:52 AM
  3. need more tmp space
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 05:18 AM
  4. not enough space ?!
    By Rapt0r in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
  5. Running Knoppix in without the X Server running....
    By Raineri in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$483.99



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$477.00



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$484.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99