Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix & VMware & LANs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix & VMware & LANs

    Hi,

    I often run knoppix (3.3 11-19) under VMware 4.0 but have had an annoying problem. I can ping my router, I can ping my own knoppix LAN IP but I cannot ping any devices in my lan (other windows boxes).

    If I make a static route on the windows box, then & only then can I ping, but otherwise -- no way.

    All my windows boxes can ping each other, but knoppix (of any variant, including damn small linux & STD) all only ping themselves and the gateway, that's it.

    I am using bridged-networking in VMware.

    If anyone has had this issue or has a suggestion, that would be great, thanks for your time.

    Bosspacman.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    Try using NAT

    Try using NAT instead of bridged.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    3
    Well "Bridged' mode USED to work, however NAT-mode worked almost perfectly thank you! It seems that VMware has its own virtual DHCP server. It seems to have a /24 (class C) subnet mask but on a different subnet (192.168.164.1).

    Interestingly a second VMware I have running on a different box on the same LAN set up a 192.168.157.1/24 on the "NAT" interface (VMware8 when you right-click Network-Neighborhood/placed).

    So there has to be some silent-static route between the VMware subnet and the standard LAN subnet I am running. However, it wasn't based on any discovery protocol, I could not ping my OTHER VMware-Knoppix-install sitting on Box2 which was running ont he .164 subnet.

    However each VM could ping the "real" boxes on the LAN as well as the Internet.

    Perhaps I could create a static route to allow the (2) VMware installs to speak to each other......... (hmmm)

    In any event, thank you for the recommendation.... I wonder why Bridged-mode stopped working... (shrug)

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    bridged stopped working

    I never figured it out either
    I just know the NAT did.

    Erm the reason you can't ping is becuase its NAT'd ...

    If you were using linux as the host I'd say you need to use IPTABLES to route the requests across the NAT but I don't have a faintest idea how to do that in windows !!!

Similar Threads

  1. VMWare on Knoppix
    By bspengler in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 01:49 PM
  2. VMWare: VMWare Tools can not be installed
    By Josh83 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
  3. Installing Knoppix Thru VMWare
    By Fitzy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 08:54 PM
  4. Knoppix-3.4 and Vmware-4.0.5
    By Ish Rattan in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 04:49 AM
  5. Vmware Knoppix
    By biio in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95