Hi Harry,
Try this from a root shell : apt-get update && apt-get -s -t unstable install testdisk
and try running it again[/code]
I have a disk that I can't recover with gpart (still gives a bad superblock error) and I thought I would give testdisk a try. But when I try to run testdisk I get:
testdisk: error while loading shared libaries: libntfs.so.9 cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
I get the same error on 5.1.0 and 4.0.2. I'm running as root (opened a terminal and then typed su). Can anyone give any insight on what is going wrong here?
Hi Harry,
Try this from a root shell : apt-get update && apt-get -s -t unstable install testdisk
and try running it again[/code]
Thanks for the tip Rusty. I will try it, but I learned something else: While the CD versions of 4.0.2 and 5,1.0 (and I expect very likely 5.0.1 and even 5.1.1) have this problem, the DVD version of 4.0.2 booted and ran testdisk just fine for me. I'n not sure why an unworking version would be on multiple CD releases, but apparently that's the case.
Unfortunately, while I ran testdisk, it still didn't fix my bad superblock problem. So I'm going to focus on other approaches that might save something from these disks before I try the apt-get update approach, but it will be something interesting to do.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Hi Harry,
Just to note that a new version of testdisk was recently released in unstable, FWIW.
Regards.
Thanks. It is worth checking if that version fixes my bad superblock.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
I have the same error-messge with Knoppix 5.1 and testdisk. (this problem is nomore relevant for me - the notebook has broken)
I have tested the solution above and testdisk starts very well.
Unfortunatly I don't know how I can put a link the the other thread here.
When anybody know this - please correct it.
Thread: "Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.so.9" dd. Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28
Forum: General Support
Hope that helps somebody.
PS:
To Mr. Kuhman, to who I has asked in a personal message (at a time, when I had not found the obove solution) whether the new knoppix release had solved the problem.
For your information I asked in a privat message, because the thread is 2 month old and I supposed that you maybe would not read this thread periodical.
Thanks very much for your answer.
I asked because I have a older notbook where the Koppix Release 5.1 don't run - 3.6 does. This means that it would give further more problems to get it to run. To test which last Knoppix Release would run - to find out where the difference is - to make a own Knoppix CD with the actual release of testdisk - and that maybe for nothing. That is the reason why I asked for your experience.
Regards.
I have no insight other than to try a different bootable CD to use TESTDISK.Originally Posted by the_idealist100
The "GPARTED" livecd has TESTDISK and the ULTIMATE BOOT CD also has it.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26507
there is (Knoppix 5.1.1) no libntfs.so.9 (in /usr/lib/) but:testdisk: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs.so.9: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
libntfs.so -> libntfs.so.10.0.0
libntfs.so.10 -> libntfs.so.10.0.0
what do you think about this:
rootwindow
now testdisk will runCode:cd /usr/lib ln -s libntfs.so.10.0.0 libntfs.so.9
Thanks for everybody's help.
I can't test more ideas - because my notebook has broken and
I am now working with Knoppix 5.3.1 on a newer PC, which has no problems with this
newer Knoppix-Version.

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99
Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99
GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95
Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151
$39.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99
Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99
Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU
$39.99
COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4
$169.95
Core i3-10105F 4-Core Comet Lake Processor 3.70GHz 8GT/s 6MB LGA 1200 CPU Tray
$79.00