Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Booting Knoppix from a multiboot DVD using GRUB

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2

    Booting Knoppix from a multiboot DVD using GRUB

    I use a number of different live CDs, and would like to combine them into a single multi-boot DVD. Most of the live CDs I use are Knoppix-based, so I decided to try to get Knoppix to boot first. I'm using GRUB because I know it better than ISOLINUX.

    I can boot to GRUB, and selecting the Knoppix entry boots Knoppix, but when it gets to the point where it loads the file system from the file "KNOPPIX", it can't find it. The GRUB config lines are:

    Code:
    title	KNOPPIX 5.1.1 test
    root	(cd)
    kernel	/knoppix-5.1.1/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX
    initrd	/knoppix-5.1.1/minirt.gz
    boot
    As mentioned, it boots OK at first, so it's finding linux and minirt.gz, just not KNOPPIX.

    Does anyone know where KNOPPIX needs to be so that the kernel can find it at boot time?

    (I'm sure I'm leaving out some detail or other. Ask questions if needed.)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8
    Make sure the KNOPPIX folder is in the root of the DVD, not in /knoppix-5.1.1.
    Also, if I were you, I would use Knoppix 5.3.1. The Japanese edition is here: ftp://ring.aist.go.jp/pub/linux/knop...0080520-AC.iso
    You can change it to "lang=us" in the menu.lst and it will boot in English.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2
    I've tried putting the KNOPPIX folder in the root. I've tried putting the KNOPPIX file system image in the root. I've tried putting the folder in /knoppix-5.1.1, and tried putting the file system image there. I even tried putting each in /boot and /boog/grub. The kernel has not been able to find it no matter where I've put it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8
    Have you tried booting the image with qemu? It might be a BIOS problem.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    18
    You told GRUB that root is, your cd in grub terms ..... root (cd).

    Shouldn't you tell linux that root=/dev/sxx whatever the dev name is for your cd in linux terms?

    I would add root=/dev/xxx in the kernel parameters, replacing xxx with your cd identification.

    Lucien.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix live-CD using GRUB
    By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 01:23 AM
  2. booting with add to grub/menu.lst
    By srbanator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 07:53 AM
  3. incorporating knoppix into multiboot dvd
    By will.murnane in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2004, 03:05 AM
  4. Booting Knoppix from hdd using grub problem
    By kofti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 03:29 PM
  5. KNOPPIX MULTIBOOT WITH OTHER OS INSTALL CDs
    By neobond in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99