-
Can I boot to a terminal and install off a live CD?
I'd like to do a stripped down install of Knoppix (or some flavor of linux). For some reason I'm having issues, and I'm sure my RAM is too small for KDE. I'd like to just be able to boot to a prompt/terminal, then install.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Knoppix is not very suitable for hard disk install, and if you are dealing with limited RAM then I'll say that it would be even crazier to try to install Knoppix that it usually is, since you will not be getting any of the benefit of all of the Knoppix apps, just the bloat. While there are many different Linux distros, if you like the basic flavor of Knopix, consider installing Debian, the distro that Knoppix is based on. I suggest that you try an install of the "testing" version of Debian, which is currently also known as "Lenny". As long as you have an Internet connection available to install from, I suggest doing a "net install" of it with this ISO file. See Debian.org for more details. If during the install process you don't want a GUI, don't take the Desktop option. If you want to try Gnome (smaller than KDE) then take the Desktop option during the install. Of course, you can always install other GUIs later with apt-get.
Debian is far from the only good choice, but as this is a Knoppix forum it seems a good place to start.
Similar Threads
-
By alisoncolette in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
-
By mkyb14 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 10:41 PM
-
By IsaacKuo in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
-
By rex in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 03:40 AM
-
By bkw1a in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-19-2003, 03:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Deskpack Plus Commodore 64 / 128 Berkeley Softworks w/ Box & Manual
$69.00

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128
$79.99

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded
$89.50

Commodore 64c Computer System
$550.00

Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer
$600.00

Duck Shoot Commodore 64 / 128 Mastertronic Floppy Disk
$39.00

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA
$10.49

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller
$29.99

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW
$11.99