-
Can I boot to a terminal and install off a live CD?
I'd like to do a stripped down install of Knoppix (or some flavor of linux). For some reason I'm having issues, and I'm sure my RAM is too small for KDE. I'd like to just be able to boot to a prompt/terminal, then install.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Knoppix is not very suitable for hard disk install, and if you are dealing with limited RAM then I'll say that it would be even crazier to try to install Knoppix that it usually is, since you will not be getting any of the benefit of all of the Knoppix apps, just the bloat. While there are many different Linux distros, if you like the basic flavor of Knopix, consider installing Debian, the distro that Knoppix is based on. I suggest that you try an install of the "testing" version of Debian, which is currently also known as "Lenny". As long as you have an Internet connection available to install from, I suggest doing a "net install" of it with this ISO file. See Debian.org for more details. If during the install process you don't want a GUI, don't take the Desktop option. If you want to try Gnome (smaller than KDE) then take the Desktop option during the install. Of course, you can always install other GUIs later with apt-get.
Debian is far from the only good choice, but as this is a Knoppix forum it seems a good place to start.
Similar Threads
-
By alisoncolette in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
-
By mkyb14 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 10:41 PM
-
By IsaacKuo in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
-
By rex in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 03:40 AM
-
By bkw1a in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-19-2003, 03:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro
$240.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box
$299.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$189.99

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$166.49