Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Running script on boot up

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Suburb Chicago
    Posts
    33

    Running script on boot up

    Is there a way to have a script automatically run when I boot up? I have checked around
    and couldn't tell the best place to add it. Would I have it in init.d or when kde starts.
    My bootup cheats are:knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hde9 myconfig=/media/sda4. So I am
    really booting from the hard drive and using configs.tbz from the usb stick.

    I currently have to mount sda4, make it writable, the run the scripts. In one of them
    I have to unload the rt73 that Knoppix uses(from serialmonkey) for the wireless and
    use the inf/sys/cat files for windows.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    thx

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    I put my scripts in

    /home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart

    I save my configuration and boot with cheatcode myconfig=scan.

    P.S. I'm running the knoppix 4.02 dvd.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Suburb Chicago
    Posts
    33
    So in .kde/Autostart would I just add an executable script
    with any name I'd like or would it have to be a .sh file?

    This is all I need:
    mount -rw /dev/sda4 /mnt/sda4
    cd /mnt/sda4
    runall

    mount usb, make writeable, change directory, run script.

    thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    I placed the actual scripts in my /home/knoppix/Desktop folder. You can name the scripts anything you want, just make them executable.

    In the .kde/Autostart I have links to those scripts. Konquerer seems to recognize Autostart and gives you a dialog to make the links. I think it supplies the suffixes ".desktop".

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Suburb Chicago
    Posts
    33
    It worked! Awesome. Put it in .kde/Autostart and made it executable.

    Thanks much.

    Love these forums!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    7
    may I ask a question, can i also make a script that after the boot up process, i would like to auto explore the mounting point of a usb drive?

    for example:
    this code will open konqueror(/media/sda1) on the desktop...

    CODE
    #!/bin/sh
    konqueror /media/sda1

    if i place this on the /home/knoppix/Desktop or in .kde/autostart, will it show konqueror and exploring the sda1 after the boot up process...

    thank you!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by ecliu
    may I ask a question, can i also make a script that after the boot up process, i would like to auto explore the mounting point of a usb drive?

    for example:
    this code will open konqueror(/media/sda1) on the desktop...

    CODE
    #!/bin/sh
    konqueror /media/sda1

    if i place this on the /home/knoppix/Desktop or in .kde/autostart, will it show konqueror and exploring the sda1 after the boot up process...

    thank you!

    Check your bash scripts from a terminal first.
    As long as the host system boots from cd and not from the usb drive, your script should work.
    I have heard of some people whose knoppix disc did not boot when an external usb drive was
    connected; however this may be a single isolated case.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    7
    I typed (konqueror /media/sda1) in the konsole, and it browsed the Path of media/sda1...

    Is it possible for a 'script' that can automatically browse the contents using konqueror of a USB flash drive upon insertion.

    thank you..

Similar Threads

  1. Help running automatic script
    By mclae in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 03:31 PM
  2. running shell script
    By splittik in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 07:38 AM
  3. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 02:10 AM
  4. Running Script to find FATX
    By .-=Ronin=-. in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 03:40 PM
  5. running a script at boot
    By Gatorex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 05:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 4 SK Hynix 16GB (64GB) HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH PC4-2400T-RE1-11 Server ECC RAM picture

Lot of 4 SK Hynix 16GB (64GB) HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH PC4-2400T-RE1-11 Server ECC RAM

$289.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



HYNIX  HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN   3200AA    16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory picture

HYNIX HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN 3200AA 16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory

$105.00



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage. picture

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage.

$3.99



Micron 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RDIMM Server Memory (MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2II) - Preowned picture

Micron 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RDIMM Server Memory (MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2II) - Preowned

$59.00