Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Dev Null Permission Problems

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92

    Dev Null Permission Problems

    I've had Knoppix 3.2 up for about a month now, and every week or so, when logging in, I get about 200 Permission Denied errors:
    -bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    I fix this simply by adding some permissions to /dev/null, but this shouldn't happen.

    This happen to anyone else?

    For now I've just stuck chmod into the crontab, but like I said, this shouldn't happen.


    - Ambrose

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northridge, California
    Posts
    48

    Only for modem

    It seems only for my modem when I crash the system and reboot without shutting down. To solve this problem I changed the owner of the modem to my username. I also have had that problem also sometimes after defrag/repair I get the commandline, and if I reboot I would get an error which I would need a disk to repair. To solve this I enter 'fsck' at the prompt to clean the partition after defrag, then reboot.

    Thus, I now have no proglems. I have only one problem now i can't 'webfetch' with php/apache, pages on the internet. any ideas?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Dev Null Permission Problems

    --I had some weird stuff happen when using an ext3 filesystem mounted as ext2 (wasn't booting the machine with proper initrd.)

    Suggestions:

    o Download the latest ISO (2003-05-20 as of this writing) and re-install. (Don't forget to backup 1st!)

    o Switch to reiserfs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose
    I've had Knoppix 3.2 up for about a month now, and every week or so, when logging in, I get about 200 Permission Denied errors:
    -bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    I fix this simply by adding some permissions to /dev/null, but this shouldn't happen.

    This happen to anyone else?

    For now I've just stuck chmod into the crontab, but like I said, this shouldn't happen.


    - Ambrose

Similar Threads

  1. /dev/null permission errors
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 10:54 AM
  2. new HD permission problems
    By Hayabusa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 09:11 PM
  3. Program use and permission problems on hd install
    By chook in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:57 PM
  4. X permission problems
    By ocilent1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2003, 12:53 PM
  5. debootstrap fails with non-writeable /dev/null
    By doelle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$124.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50