-
bootfrom parameter doesn't seem to see my usb flash drive
Hi all,
I was fiddling around with running knoppix on an old laptop and trying to use the bootfrom parameter to get the image from a usb flash drive. It doesn't seem to mount the usb flash drive on /dev/sda1 automatically so that it's visible.
knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix51.iso just doesn't see the flash drive
later, after it boots from the cd, I can mount /dev/sda1 just fine and see all the files on the flash drive.
Do you have any suggestions?
-
Well turns out that my .iso image of knoppix was bad. I was using an incomplete bittorrent file that was the proper length but was corrupt since the torrent hadn't completed.
I booted with
"knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix51.iso" and it worked beautifully on my desktop, switching to the flash drive after booting with the cd.
Then I tried it on this laptop with a wonky cd drive that doesn't like cd-rs very well and it worked, but oddly it was still accessing the cd as well as the flash drive.
-
Later, I noticed that I could take the cd out which meant that the cd-rom was no longer locked and thus no longer needed. I wonder why I could hear it still spinning the cd after it started using the flash drive.
Oh well, it works.
I love that bootfrom parameter. It'd be cool is someone could setup a knoppix 5.3 "boot cd" where you could boot into knoppix, but use a bootfrom parameter to access a flash drive that has the full dvd image. That would be useful with computers that don't have a dvd drive.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-06-2011, 05:20 AM
-
By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
-
By dl5raz in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-04-2005, 08:51 AM
-
By jehan60188 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
-
By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB
$160.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

Galaxy Tab A11 64GB
$150.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00