Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: bootfrom parameter doesn't seem to see my usb flash drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95

    bootfrom parameter doesn't seem to see my usb flash drive

    Hi all,

    I was fiddling around with running knoppix on an old laptop and trying to use the bootfrom parameter to get the image from a usb flash drive. It doesn't seem to mount the usb flash drive on /dev/sda1 automatically so that it's visible.

    knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix51.iso just doesn't see the flash drive


    later, after it boots from the cd, I can mount /dev/sda1 just fine and see all the files on the flash drive.

    Do you have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95
    Well turns out that my .iso image of knoppix was bad. I was using an incomplete bittorrent file that was the proper length but was corrupt since the torrent hadn't completed.


    I booted with

    "knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix51.iso" and it worked beautifully on my desktop, switching to the flash drive after booting with the cd.

    Then I tried it on this laptop with a wonky cd drive that doesn't like cd-rs very well and it worked, but oddly it was still accessing the cd as well as the flash drive.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95
    Later, I noticed that I could take the cd out which meant that the cd-rom was no longer locked and thus no longer needed. I wonder why I could hear it still spinning the cd after it started using the flash drive.

    Oh well, it works.

    I love that bootfrom parameter. It'd be cool is someone could setup a knoppix 5.3 "boot cd" where you could boot into knoppix, but use a bootfrom parameter to access a flash drive that has the full dvd image. That would be useful with computers that don't have a dvd drive.

Similar Threads

  1. USB Flash Drive
    By allanz in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 05:20 AM
  2. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 08:51 AM
  4. using a PDA as a usb flash drive
    By jehan60188 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98