Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Windows Samba sharing hard drive

  1. #1

    Windows Samba sharing hard drive

    I would like to use Knoppix 5 to access my Windows XP hard drive, then share this hard drive so I can back it up across the network.

    I tried using Knoppix's network wizzard and got samba server running. It then asks me whether it should share the hard drives. I say yes. I could access knoppix default home folder share remotely. But I could not see how to access my C:\. Does anyone know how to do this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Windows Samba sharing hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewwan1980
    I would like to use Knoppix 5 to access my Windows XP hard drive, then share this hard drive so I can back it up across the network.

    I tried using Knoppix's network wizzard and got samba server running. It then asks me whether it should share the hard drives. I say yes. I could access knoppix default home folder share remotely. But I could not see how to access my C:\. Does anyone know how to do this?
    It could be my problem, but after reading your post, don't really get what you are trying to do? Can you give us more information?

    Like you try to access your Windows XP drive from another knoppix machine or you try to boot knoppix on the windows xp machine and then from there access the hard drive?

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #3

    Re: Windows Samba sharing hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    It could be my problem, but after reading your post, don't really get what you are trying to do? Can you give us more information?

    Like you try to access your Windows XP drive from another knoppix machine or you try to boot knoppix on the windows xp machine and then from there access the hard drive?

    Rgds,
    Chip
    The PC booted up by Knoppix 5 DVD is the PC I want to samba share. And another PC on the LAN is Windows XP and wants to gain access to the 1st PC that was booted up by Knoppix.

    I can access the whole HD from Knoppix, but only the home folder is on a samba share. During the Knoppix start samba server it prompt me whether to share entire C:\. I said yes. But it appears this did not work???

    You try it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Windows Samba sharing hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewwan1980
    The PC booted up by Knoppix 5 DVD is the PC I want to samba share. And another PC on the LAN is Windows XP and wants to gain access to the 1st PC that was booted up by Knoppix.

    I can access the whole HD from Knoppix, but only the home folder is on a samba share. During the Knoppix start samba server it prompt me whether to share entire C:\. I said yes. But it appears this did not work???

    You try it.
    Since you can access the samba share machine home directory already. Can you try the following and see if it works

    On the samba machine, open a console under knoppix id (not the root terminal)

    Code:
    cd /home/knoppix
    mkdir c
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /home/knoppix/c
    What we are doing here is to mount your c: drive on the newly created mount point /home/knoppix/c

    And then access the c: drive from there.

    Be noted that if your c: drive is not NTFS, then change the -t ntfs to whatever it is. Also your c: drive may not be /dev/hda1, nowaday, if you have a SATA drive, I believe it will be /dev/sda1.

    See if you can access the c directory from the windows xp machine. If you can, backup the whole c directory and it is your c: drive on the other machine.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Windows Samba sharing hard drive

    Just post a Samba example on the FAQ page, check out Q9 on the following link

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Samba Sharing?
    By Oblivious Sage in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 03:07 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 05:05 AM
  3. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  4. Stop Samba from sharing printers
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 08:22 PM
  5. v3.3 sharing ntfs drive using samba
    By adamm in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1690.40



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$452.53



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$519.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M70q i7-10700T, 2.00GHz, 16GB, 1TB, No Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M70q i7-10700T, 2.00GHz, 16GB, 1TB, No Adapter

$239.99



Lot of 3 1TB Samsung WD Toshiba SATA 2.5

Lot of 3 1TB Samsung WD Toshiba SATA 2.5" HDD Hard Drives - Wiped and Tested

$79.99