Read the FAQ's at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ, questions 9-13.
Ok so I am an idiot...I have a pc that was hit by a storm powersurge , nothing seems burnt out but the damn thing is stuck in a startup loop, I was told I maybe able to recover files by booting from a Knoppix boot disc.......ok I have downloaded Knoppix and there is an iso that I imagine you burn on to a cd to make it bootable......only problem is I havent a clue how to do it.....I told you I was an idiot.
please help...............please.
Read the FAQ's at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ, questions 9-13.
At the top of the Knoppix.net forum's web page there is a link titled "Documentation". Therein lies a great deal of knowledge about how to use Knoppix. See this link : http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ for help on downloading and burning a CD.
Beneath that line of links there is another line of links, the first titled "Search". Click on that to search the forums for posts that might be similar to yours, although I might not recommend "Idiot" as a search term.
There are two acronyms in this business that I use frequently: GIYF, stands for Google Is Your Friend, because if you use Google to search for help you will often find it useful. The other is RTFM, meaning Read The Fine Manual, which implies that one can learn from reading the documentation that is included with a product.
Look over the docs, and let us know how we can help.
Ok... since your on a mission and not on vacation,
1. Download ImgBurn and install it on a XP machine that has a dvd burner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImgBurn
Since you may or may not have gotten the most recent Knoppix... here is a link to the most recent one. (Works better with newer machines)
2. http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knopp...8-03-26-EN.iso
3. Open ImgBurn.
4. Tell ImgBurn to open the Knoppix iso file.
5. Click Burn. (It knows what to do.)
6. Label disk as Knoppix 5.3.1
7. Plug in your removable media on the dead machine... (Thumbdrive etc... what you are going to copy files to from dead pc, so Knoppix will make nice icons on the desktop for you to use.)
8. Bootup dead computer with Knoppix in dvd drive.
9. Once in the knoppix Desktop... Click on the "Hard Disk hda1" icon... (Konqueror opens and shows your files)
10. Right Click on the "Hard Disk sda1" icon... and pick "Mount".
11. Right click on the "Hard Disk sda1" icon... and pick "Change Read/Write Mode", say yes to make it writable.
12 Copy your files to removable media, using mouse to drag and drop files.
13. Buy new computer.![]()

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
HP EliteBook 840 G5 Laptop Intel Core i5 7200U 8GB RAM – No HDD
$64.00
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00
AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor
$399.00
Intel Xeon E-2478 2.8Ghz 24MB Cache 8 Core FCLGA1700 Server Processor CPU SRMX7
$599.95
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00