Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Belkin USB-to-Centronics Printing

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    4

    Belkin USB-to-Centronics Printing

    Hello,

    New to the forums. Tough call whether to put under Hardware or General. Here goes:

    With Knoppix 5.1 on my laptop, I sudo cupsd, check /etc/services for the correct port (I think it is 631 off the top of my head) and point Konqueror at it. The "idiot screens" in Konqueror are all I need to get printing to work. Some of the easiest print configuration I've ever done in Linux.

    Then, I got an old HP LaserJet 4P. It doesn't have USB. It is the older parallel/Centronics connector. My laptop *only* has USB.

    I picked up a Belkin USB-to-Parallel (Centronics) cable, and plugged it in. The Knoppix/CUPS idiot screens detected the printer just fine, and setup was as easy as it as ever been.

    Then, I clicked on "test page." The page came out perfectly fine, except it printed *two* test pages. As a matter of fact, *everything* I print has a duplicate copy come out. Yes, I checked the configuration for "number of copies." For some reason, when using the Belkin cable, everything gets printed twice.

    I am posting from work, so cannot give much detail on my system. Will post later today, with lspci -v and other system details. But, I wanted to pre-post with the question: Has anybody heard of this before, and could this already be a solved problem?

    Thanks in advance.

    INTENSITY

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    4

    More Belkin USB-to_Centronics Printing

    Here are the particulars on my system:

    Notebook = "Gazelle" by System 76. Book that comes with it mentions the following number: GX-N1012X1. Celeron M processor, Not sure of the total RAM. KInfocenter tells me 495.13 MB physical RAM (512M?).
    Printer HP LaserJet 4p
    Cable: Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adaptor. F5U002
    Symptoms: CUPS correctly detects the printer through Belkin Adaptor, and I am able to configure the printer. All attempts to print result in duplicate output (2 copies).

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ lspci -v
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
    Memory at fbe80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    I/O ports at dc00 [size=8]
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Memory at fbe40000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at fbd80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    I/O ports at d880 [size=32]

    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at d800 [size=32]

    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at d480 [size=32]

    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
    I/O ports at d400 [size=32]

    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    Memory at fbe3bc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d4) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=06, sec-latency=32
    I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
    Memory behind bridge: fbf00000-fbffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 0000000020000000-0000000024ffffff
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
    I/O ports at cc00 [size=64]
    Memory at fbe3b800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    Memory at fbe3b400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at c800 [size=256]
    I/O ports at c480 [size=128]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]

    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at 0400 [size=32]

    01:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 23
    I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
    Memory at fbfffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Expansion ROM at 24000000 [disabled] [size=64K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    01:04.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ac)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 16
    Memory at fbf00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Bus: primary=01, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=176
    Memory window 0: 20000000-21fff000 (prefetchable)
    Memory window 1: 26000000-27fff000
    I/O window 0: 0000e000-0000e0ff
    I/O window 1: 0000e400-0000e4ff
    16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

    01:04.1 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ac)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 17
    Memory at fbf01000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Bus: primary=01, secondary=03, subordinate=06, sec-latency=176
    Memory window 0: 22000000-23fff000 (prefetchable)
    Memory window 1: 28000000-29fff000
    I/O window 0: 0000ec00-0000ecff
    I/O window 1: 00001000-000010ff
    16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

    01:04.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0121
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 21
    Memory at fbfff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    01:09.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 1000
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 22
    Memory at fbffe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$

Similar Threads

  1. Belkin F5D7050
    By TheBlueFrog in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 04:59 AM
  2. Belkin USB Wireless G Adaptor
    By giant_toaster in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 02:28 PM
  3. BELKIN FsD6050 !!
    By fusion88 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
  4. Belkin F5D7010 and Knoppix 3.6
    By csogilvie in forum Networking
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
  5. Belkin Hardware compatability???
    By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 04:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



32GB DDR5 PC5-38400R RDIMM Micron MTC18F1045S1PC48BA2 Memory RAM picture

32GB DDR5 PC5-38400R RDIMM Micron MTC18F1045S1PC48BA2 Memory RAM

$949.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$369.59



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79