-
Use cd to boot knoppix, then switch to image on flashdrive
Here's something I figured out (because one of my systems has a wonky cd drive)
First, get an iso image of knoppix and put it on your usb flash drive.
Boot with knoppix, and use the bootfrom parameter to switch to using the iso knoppix image on the flash drive.
"knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix51.iso" will find an image named knoppix51 on the flash drive and run knoppix from it.
You can also use wildcards like "knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/k*.iso"
I think this saves a lot of wear and tear on your cd drive.
The magic of this solution is that you don't have to worry about making your usb flash drive bootable,
just boot from the cd and run off the flash.
You must boot with the same knoppix version on the cd as the one on the flash drive.
-
How can I use that?
I really like that idea, and not the most skilled with Linux. Basically, how would I write that as a simple script (Like a dos .Bat file) save it to my thumb drive and when I want to switch from CD to Thumbdrive.
And perhaps I'm asking to much on this thread, but would it be possible to install programs on the the thumbdrive and use them when I switch to the thumbdrive with out remastering the knoppix.iso file?
Similar Threads
-
By DanStieneke in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
-
By benx009 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-11-2006, 09:47 PM
-
By dv440 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 06:38 AM
-
By funkymonk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-15-2004, 01:44 PM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00