-
Hi Harry
Thanks for helping.
The ifconfig reports I only have a l0 loopback interface. I can ping it fine.
I've tried various other commands such as dmesg and lsmod trying to figure out what kind of network cards are installed but they report nothing as far as I can see. The initial startup/boot text has no mention of network hardware as far as I can see. Since I am a newb, I may be missing something in all the text.
I am not running a vanilla knoppix live CD. Rather, the knoppix-std version.
I used the boot cheat codes "knoppix acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm screen=1280x1024" Every other combination I tried resulted in a limited shell without xwindow started. But I tried only about 20 combinations of cheat codes out of maybe 100s of possible combinations.
I tried the instructions in the knoppix.net network_faq (using netcardconfig and ndiswrapper), but no luck getting any drivers to load (ndiswrapper says oem6.inf is unsupported). netcardconfig says no supported cards could be found.
I tried downloading a Linux-based 4400 driver using instructioons from the accompanying README.TXT from broadcom.com and building it in a knoppix shell window, but the makefile returns errors with no resulting driver built to try to load.
When I instead boot into XP OS, the wireless and ethernet cards work fine.
I ftp'd the knoppix-std-0.1.iso image from ftp://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/Knoppix-STD
I'm most interested in the ethernet (as opposed to wireless). Wireless is optional.
Is it possible my boot cheat codes are incorrect, and though it seems to start OK, the networking is being zonked because of incorrect cheat codes?
Thanks

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
First of all, let me state clearly that I don't know your particular hardware.
I do know that Knoppix has a lot of problems with wireless cards, and there are many factors here, from devices that the manufacturer will not release specs for to the Linux community to poor support on Knoppix's part for the devices that are supported in other Linux distros to whatever has been done in the 5.x versions that is keeping me from using the one card that did work for me in 4.02.
But I have had very good luck with wired connections. I know that Broadcom made some wireless devices that I doubt you will get working easily with Knoppix, but at this point I would not have expected any wired connection problems. There were indeed some issues when the 10/100/1000 hardware first came out, as Knoppix has a long lead time and it took a while to catch up to the newer hardware. But I would have expected it to support your wired connection.
Are you sure that your wired connection is not working? Can you post ifconfig info and any other related information that might help here? What is your network configuration (I'm expecting that you are connecting to a local router, but we might as well be sure about that and even give the make and model of the router).
While I have no experience with your hardware and indeed you might have an issue that I'm not aware of, I'm hopeful that you can get wired networking working.
Similar Threads
-
By aebp in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-15-2005, 03:21 AM
-
By gonzalezmfrank in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-24-2005, 01:28 PM
-
By MattNooB in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-10-2004, 12:26 AM
-
By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
-
By Angryguy in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-12-2003, 01:48 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$125.98

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed
$245.57