-
Samba Server
I'm a noob. Completly new to Knoppix
So I download the latest DVD, start-up with it from your everyday PC.
My problem is when I click the "start samba server" from the clicking the little penquin guy and then services, it ask me to create password for the user knoppix. So no big deal, i use 123 as a password and normally i would say share all with read and write. well the problem is that it is not taking that 123 password or a blank password or anything. that damn dialog box just keep looping betweeen setting the password and confirming it and it wont go away.
what the deal?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Samba Server

Originally Posted by
MAiN_PRoToCoL
I'm a noob. Completly new to Knoppix
So I download the latest DVD, start-up with it from your everyday PC.
My problem is when I click the "start samba server" from the clicking the little penquin guy and then services, it ask me to create password for the user knoppix. So no big deal, i use 123 as a password and normally i would say share all with read and write. well the problem is that it is not taking that 123 password or a blank password or anything. that damn dialog box just keep looping betweeen setting the password and confirming it and it wont go away.
what the deal?
Thanks
I believe you are using the knoppix 5.3 version. I only have 5.1.1 and I try it with your case, I use 123 as password, knoppix accepted it and ask me once again to confirm. After I re-enter it, it asks me if I want all harddisks to be read and write. I click on the OK and the program ended gracefully.
I do not have 5.3 myself so I cannot test it. Well 4+ GB download is not fun for me and I am not going to do it until they have the CD version coming up.
So anyone out there tried the knoppix 5.3 Samba server?
Rgds,
Chip
-
Nice to know that 5.1.1 is ok. I'm using 5.3.1
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
MAiN_PRoToCoL
Nice to know that 5.1.1 is ok. I'm using 5.3.1
So any other reason you want to use version 5.3.1 instead of 5.1.1? I ask because I don't have 5.3.1.
Rgds,
Chip
-
Senior Member
registered user
Just post a Samba example on the FAQ page, check out Q9 on the following link
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ
Can you follow it and try it on version 5.3 and let me know the result.
Rgds,
Chip
-
Using 5.3.1 here and had the same issue. After entering a password and verifying it, it kept prompting to create a password. I just closed the prompt after a few times and then it asked about sharing the whole HD.
Logged in from a Windows box and it worked fine.
-
chip.ling: yup it worked just like the FAQ page said. it just sucks i gotta go through all that and it makes the GUI samba in 5.3.1 useless.
QuadriplegicMonkey: were both on the same page. so where can I bitch about this bug????????
-
No idea... I'm just using Knoppix to pull some files off a machine I'm about to wipe. The issue wasn't a big deal for me, but if I were using it regularly it might be. Good luck.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
MAiN_PRoToCoL
chip.ling: yup it worked just like the FAQ page said. it just sucks i gotta go through all that and it makes the GUI samba in 5.3.1 useless.
QuadriplegicMonkey: were both on the same page. so where can I bitch about this bug????????
Depends on what your knoppix setting is, you may want to write a bash script and store it in your storage area and automatically run it on bootup if possible.
I'm an old fashioned unix guy who always want to use command line to control the machine because I can always transform the command lines to a shell script and automate the process.
I just wrote Q10 on the FAQ with a bash script which can simply the samba setup steps, check it out here
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ
Beaware that I just wrote it out of my head and have not test it yet. I need to test it at my office tomorrow with more than one machine.
Rgds,
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
chip.ling
I just wrote Q10 on the FAQ with a bash script which can simply the samba setup steps, check it out here
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ
Beaware that I just wrote it out of my head and have not test it yet. I need to test it at my office tomorrow with more than one machine.
Just tested my FAQ Q10 from my office and it seems working without any problem.
Rgds,
Chip
Similar Threads
-
By sirpj in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2007, 02:39 AM
-
By bleckie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-17-2005, 01:03 PM
-
By venom_zx in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
-
By charliet in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
-
By npyang in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 04:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49

Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204
$24.97