Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: GRUB HARD DISK ERROR issue

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3

    GRUB HARD DISK ERROR issue

    I ran into this error message when installing Damn Small Linux (DSL) on a hard disk installed on my Dell desktop. The disk was then installed on a PC104 imbedded computer. I searched numerous postings on the web and found only hints to a solution. I finally solved the problem for my case and wanted to share the results:

    Here's what didn't work: I installed the disk as the Secondary Slave on my Dell and then installed DSL from a LiveCD, including GRUB. When I moved the disk to the PC104 it was installed as the Primary Master. When I tried booting, I got the GRUB HARD DISK ERROR message.

    Here's what did work: I installed the disk as the Primary Master on my Dell and then installed DSL (from a LiveCD), including GRUB. When I moved the disk to the PC104 and installed it as Primary Master, it booted OK.

    Speculation: the hints I found indicated that GRUB was getting different disk "dimensions" (e.g., head, cylinder, sector numbers) when the error was reported. I suspect that when my disk was installed on the Secondary Slave connector, GRUB still read dimensions of the Primary Master disk. So then when it was installed as the Primary Master in the PC104 system it read dimension numbers from its BIOS that didn't match those held by GRUB. I'm not a GRUB expert, so this is a guess.

    Conclusion: install the disk as the Primary Master when installing GRUB. Good luck!

  2. #2
    Thanks for the tip! I've seen that once before too, but was unsure of the best way to fix and prevent it. It was a case of moving a drive from one PC to another, and setting it up as a master. It's a "do it right the first time" sort of thing...In my case, I ended up doing a backup-->re-format partition-->install files-->reinstall GRUB, and all was okay. More work than it needed to be

    May include this in my GRUB and Knoppix USB page soon.

    http://www.ab9il.net/flashdrive-linux/flashlinux.html

Similar Threads

  1. grub error
    By zoidburg016 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 06:27 AM
  2. isolinux: disk error 01, AX=42080d, disk=9F
    By bottomer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 02:20 PM
  3. Most used options for making a better Super Grub Disk
    By adrian15 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 12:07 PM
  4. Error 17 with grub
    By kb0hae in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 08:27 PM
  5. Grub error 17
    By Henk Poley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 12:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$275.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$48.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET picture

Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET

$69.99



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4 picture

1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4

$59.99