Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can't connect to internet with KPPP or wvdial (Live CD)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3

    Can't connect to internet with KPPP or wvdial (Live CD)

    I am using Knoppix 5.0 live CD & I can't connect to the internet via KPPP or wvdial. For a modem, I use an older Boost Mobile prepaid phone connected by USB cable to laptop. For over a year, I have used it with Windows XP just fine. I also recently downloaded PCLinuxOS 2007 live CD, and used KPPP to connect to the internet just fine. So I know my configuration / settings are fine.

    I have searched high and low on the web for a solution, but haven't found one. I tried it on a Knoppix 3.7 live CD, but it didn't even list the ttyACM0 that I needed. If one of the newer versions of Knoppix will likely work, then I will get a hold of it, but downloading 5.1 takes a long time on my slow internet and getting the DVD for 5.3 will take several days via mail, so I can't try them out easily.

    Here are the messages I get in the Terminal Window:

    knoppix@1[knoppix]$ kppp
    Opener: received SetSecret
    Opener: received SetSecret
    Opener: received OpenLock

    Opener: received OpenDevice
    Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
    Kernel supports ppp alright.
    In parent: pppd pid 3693
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Opener: received KillPPPDaemon
    In killpppd(): Sending SIGTERM to 3693
    It was pppd that died
    pppd exited with return value 5
    Sending 3689 a SIGUSR1
    Opener: received RemoveSecret
    Opener: received RemoveSecret
    Opener: received OpenResolv
    Opener: received OpenResolv
    Opener: received RemoveLock
    Opener: received PPPDExitStatus
    And for wvdial:
    knoppix@5[knoppix]$ wvdial
    --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
    --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    --> Initializing modem.
    --> Sending: AT&F&D2&C1X4S0=0S7=120Q0E1V1
    AT&F&D2&C1X4S0=0S7=120Q0E1V1
    OK
    --> Modem initialized.
    --> Sending: ATDTS=2#777
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDTS=2#777
    CONNECT
    ~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%} }4[19]~
    --> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
    --> Connected, but carrier signal lost! Retrying...
    --> Sending: ATDTS=2#777
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%}&CSAh}"}&} } } } }4[19]~~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%} }4[19]~~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%}&CSAh}"}&} } } } }4[19]~~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%} }4[19]~~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%}&CSAh}"}&} } } } }4[19]~~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%} }4[19]~~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%}&CSAh}"}&} } } } }4[19]~~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%} }4[19]~~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }8}'}"}(}"}!}$}%\}%}&CSAh}"}&} } } } }4[19]~
    OK
    --> Timed out while dialing. Trying again.
    --> Sending: ATDTS=2#777
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDTS=2#777
    --> Timed out while dialing. Trying again.
    --> Sending: ATDTS=2#777
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDTS=2#777
    Here is what I think is the relevant portion of dmesg:
    PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 0000:00:08.0
    PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 0000:00:08.1
    ts: Compaq touchscreen protocol output
    cdc_acm 1-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    usbcore: registered new driver cdc_acm
    drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
    Even if you don't know the solution, if someone can just help me identify the problem, maybe I can Google that and find a solution. As I said, I'm a newbie so I can't even venture a guess at what the problem is.

    Thanks in advance for any help, and if you need more info, let me know & I'll post it ASAP!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3
    OK, I just fixed it--sort of. I had been using an HP Pavilion N5135 laptop (old). I connected to the internet fine using the PCLinuxOS live CD, but then couldn't connect using Knoppix 5.0 live CD--all on the same laptop. But after I posted above, I tried the Knoppix live CD in my Dell Latitude C600 laptop and connected using KPPP on the first try. I'm posting this from that connection.

    While I am very happy to have my modem working with Knoppix live CD (that was the most important part), it would be really nice if I could get it to work on the HP laptop. If anybody can easily see what's wrong and tell me how to fix it, great. If not, I can deal with it now that it's working somewhere.

    Here's the info from the Terminal window on the Dell laptop:

    Opener: received OpenDevice
    Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
    Kernel supports ppp alright.
    In parent: pppd pid 3992
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
    Opener: received OpenResolv
    Opener: received RemoveSecret
    Opener: received RemoveSecret
    And here is the relevant portion of dmesg:

    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] enabled at IRQ 5
    PCI: setting IRQ 5 as level-triggered
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:08.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
    ts: Compaq touchscreen protocol output
    cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    usbcore: registered new driver cdc_acm
    drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

Similar Threads

  1. Internet problems after hdinstall (wvdial)
    By staticspace in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 06:06 PM
  2. kppp and post-connect-script
    By knrh in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 12:25 AM
  3. Kppp connects but cannot access internet
    By dsg68818 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 04:52 PM
  4. kppp execute on connect ... only sometimes!
    By pjprofili in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 05:50 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 01:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB

$160.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Galaxy Tab A11 64GB picture

Galaxy Tab A11 64GB

$150.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00