Quote Originally Posted by uncleelvis
When I go to sites like grc.com, even with the Windows Firewall turned off, the results are that my ports can't be detected; that is, my PC is in "stealth mode."
Here's the real test: Look at Windows. Start a command prompt (shell). Type ipconfig . If the IP address that it reports for your etherenet connection (and I sure hope that you are using ethernet rather than USB) is the same as the public static address that your ISP assigned you, then you are not behind a NAT firewall. If the address that it assigned you is in a private range, most likely 192.168.xxx.xxx but a couple of other ranges are valid also including the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range), then you are behind a NAT firewall. However, in this case Knoppix should work just fine and connect automagically by DHCP, so I rather suspect the former is true.