Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Monitor goes crazy when running knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gishnar Belgium
    Posts
    6

    Monitor goes crazy when running knoppix

    Hello, I'm trying to start knoppix on my hp pavilion and I can't seem to get it to work!
    I put the cd in and turn the coputer on.
    It boots up fine and displays the knoppix boot screen.
    I enter knoppix lang=eng and press enter
    The screen displayes the " You passed an undefined mode number.
    I press space to continue
    It seems to work fine.
    after the autoconfigure bar loads the screen starts blinking a blank black screen.
    When it finishes loading knoppix it goes to a screen that displays several horizontal colored bars just flashing all over the screen.
    I've tried messing with the resolution but nothing seems to work
    Can someone help me please

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67
    I think that should be lang=us or perhaps lang=en
    but if that doesn't help I don't know what's wrong.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    One question is how you got the knoppix cd - did you buy it or burn it yourself. If you burned it yourself, you have to choose the slowest speed to ensure a good copy.

    There's also another cheat you can use: knoppix testcd, which will check the CD data integrity and md5sums.

    Good luck, and keep us posted.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Hi,

    Try using vga=normal as a cheatcode, I had a similar experience some time ago and that worked. YMMV

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gishnar Belgium
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ndb
    One question is how you got the knoppix cd - did you buy it or burn it yourself. If you burned it yourself, you have to choose the slowest speed to ensure a good copy.

    There's also another cheat you can use: knoppix testcd, which will check the CD data integrity and md5sums.

    Good luck, and keep us posted.
    Thanks for the responces everyone! I burned the cd myself and it runs perfectly on my laptop
    I did the knoppix testcd and it said the cd was ok.
    Idk It's really wierd.

    I have tried the VGA codes and they remove the you have passed an undefined mode number. code but it still malfunctions right after fully loading knoppix

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by CRK
    Thanks for the responces everyone! I burned the cd myself and it runs perfectly on my laptop
    I did the knoppix testcd and it said the cd was ok.
    Idk It's really wierd.
    Actually, I don't think that this is a bad CD, but this needs to be responded to. We have seen over and over and over again that a high speed burn can be a problem and that working on one computer is no indication at all that a disc will work when moved to another computer with slightly different optical drive parameters if the burn was done at high speed. If you want the advice of the people here who have gone through this before, then take it when offered. A response that says you burnt the CD yourself but fails to mention at what speed seems to be an indication that you did a fast burn. If so, would it be so hard to do another burn properly? Even if it doesn't resolve this issues (and as I say I don't expect it will), there might be other benefits, such as faster booting speed. And it just might resolve this issue, or some other issue that is likely to come up later if this disc was burnt at high speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRK
    I have tried the VGA codes and they remove the you have passed an undefined mode number. code but it still malfunctions right after fully loading knoppix
    After the low speed burn doesn't resolve anything and you have said "I told you so", then it's time to look at other things. It seems extremely likely that this is an issue where you'll need to come up with the proper cheat codes to pass at boot time, likely monitor frequencies and resolutions. I suggest that you post both you monitor make and the operational parameters for it (min and max horizontal and vertical scan frequencies and range of acceptable resolutions). Also it might be helpful if we knew what video card was in use (or in the case of a laptop, video chip set). There are cheat codes to force various combinations of scan rates and resolutions. I suggest that you start with something extremely basic, such as 800x600 at 60 hz vertical scan (or even 640x480) and see if you can make that work. Try simple settings like this even if you "know" that your system will support higher and that you will not be happy running at low resolutions or slow scan rates. Once you see Knoppix come up at a simple setting, then you can try varying the boot parameters to approach the setting that you want to use.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gishnar Belgium
    Posts
    6
    " If you want the advice of the people here who have gone through this before, then take it when offered. A response that says you burnt the CD yourself but fails to mention at what speed seems to be an indication that you did a fast burn. If so, would it be so hard to do another burn properly?"

    First I would like to say sorry. Because I do appriciate everyones responses! I have no idea what speed I burned it at is why I didn't say.

    Also just so everyone knows... I got knoppix to work on my computer so no worries
    Actually I don't know how I did it for sure!
    I took my computer and rewired it to make sure everything was right and I put the cd in and it boots up fine now
    The only code I have to enter is my language code
    I'm trying to access my hard drives now so I'm gonna start a new topic for that pretty soon If anyone has advice on that
    Thanks again for everyone's time I know I'm just a Novice idiot and I appriciate your help!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gishnar Belgium
    Posts
    6
    Or maybe I'll find an exsisting topic and I won't need to start one!
    Lol forgive me

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gishnar Belgium
    Posts
    6
    Okay I didn't find anything that covered my specific questions.
    Here is the link to my new post.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=118655#118655

Similar Threads

  1. Firefox went crazy
    By csodabogar in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 09:50 PM
  2. Monitor just goes crazy
    By kistonce in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 11:56 PM
  3. Ok, this is just crazy!!! I gotta know!
    By Budman21901 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 09:33 AM
  4. crazy error! HELP!
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 06:07 PM
  5. crazy colors
    By greema in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 03:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99