Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix 5.3.1 HDD install boot problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix 5.3.1 HDD install boot problems

    When Knoppix is booting up, I get an error message that repeats a few thousand times that says
    Code:
    modprobe:FATAL:could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24.4/modules.dep : No such file or directory
    What does this mean and how do I correct that?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4
    I have tried to load /lib/modules/2.6.24.4/modules.dep and there is no package, also, there seems to be no responses to a lot of questions, so I'm guessing that this forum is not active .... thanks

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3
    I don't know if posting will generate any activity on this thread but, here goes. I have the same problem j-mark originally posted: modprobe:FATAL:could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24.4/modules.dep : No such file or directory. I read "somewhere" that it could be resolved by a config file. Knoppix was trying to read the filesystem from the DVD (wrong place after install to hd) or a similar problem. There is no problem after boot up but I want to get rid of the errors.

    I can't find the original info (wish I had bookmarked that) but it seems a the fix was simple- comment out one line and be done.
    This is my fist post in the Knoppix forum and I hope I get a nibble. Thanks in advance and any help will be appreciated. Tappy

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    This may not be much help but I did a quick search and that particular error doesn't seem to have been reported here in any other thread. Would this thread by of any assistance?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3
    Hi Clinton,

    Thanks for the reply! I had come across that thread earlier. It's close to this problem but, with a lot more involvement than I want to pursue.
    I'm definately a knoppix (and linux) light weight. I help with AIX 5.1 at work but I'm mostly an old VMS guy doing storage and Tivoli TSM.

    Again the problem is at boot I receive several lines of the error mentioned above. I read somewhere it was a throw back to an automatic check knoppix did of the CD (file system?) at boot. Either the error was thrown due to looking for the CD (hd install, no longer in cdrom drive) or the file system isn't where the config expects it. I'm still looking and again thanks for your input- I appreciate the help!

    Tappy

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    21

    could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24.4/modules.dep

    Issue with the kernel. If no modules are getting loaded from initrd (image file) the error messages "could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24.4/modules.dep" are generated. Comment out the initrd line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3
    Problem solved! I commented out initrd in /boot/grub/menu.lst and no more errors at boot. Thank you very much nalini for your help!

    So now I've set up an HP (Compaq nc6220) laptop dual booting between Knoppix 5.3 and Windows 7 RC via a custom Grub menu.
    I downloaded and used GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net) to partition my hard drive which worked great.

    A big thanks to the members of the Knoppix Forum for the helpful details in their posts. It helped make my first foray in Linux/Open Source
    an enjoyable and productive experience. Tappy

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix install problems!
    By xtjacob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 02:58 AM
  2. Knoppix boot problems
    By cvic in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.9 HDD install problems
    By kwano in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 10:12 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.8.1 Install Problems
    By tilleyrw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 04:58 PM
  5. Knoppix boot problems
    By grob in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX picture

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX

$14.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Western Digital 2TB WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 3.5

Western Digital 2TB WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 3.5" SATA Red NAS Hard Disk Drive

$69.99