-
Wireless card recognized, but no connection
I've got an interesting problem here with My MacBook running the Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD. The wireless card is definitely recognized, but I can't get an IP address.
First things first... when I do an ifconfig fresh after boot only the loopback adapter is shown. So I select "Network/internet configuration" and click the wlcardconfig option. This brings up the "Wireless Configuration" dialog which shows "network card: ath0 (AR5418 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Express Adapter)".
When I click on ESSID, I see a list of nearby wireless networks, and mine is on there so I select it. Then I enter the WPA2 shared key (note: this end result is the same when I select an open network instead of an encrypted one that doesn't require a password). Then I click "IP: Set/Connect". This produces a popup with "ath0 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Express Adapter) Obtain address automatically (DHCP)?" I click yes.
The dialog sits there for a minute, then I get "No answer fro DHCP server." and the Wireless Configuration dialog appears again. Click Quit. The Network-Check dialog works again for a minute, then I get "Automatic reconnect to the Internet using WLAN (wireless) setup? Hit Skip for manual setup." I hit "Yes".
This produces the following with ifconfig... notice my wireless card hardware is listed twice, as both ath0 and wifi0. The wifi0 device is actively receiving and transmitting (though I don't know to where!). Does anyone have any ideas here? Thanks much!
ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:17:f5:e2:a2:ac
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:468 (468.0 B)
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:700 (700.0 B) TX bytes:700 (700.0 B)
wifi0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-17-F5-E2-A2-AC-6C-6F-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3129 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:409
TX packets:1690 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:195
RX bytes:362819 (354.3 KiB) TX bytes:77286 (75.4 KiB)
Interrupt:17
Similar Threads
-
By ralien in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-10-2007, 12:52 AM
-
By SpongeBob in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-06-2006, 09:59 PM
-
By gradnite in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-15-2004, 01:10 AM
-
By phantomshado in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-22-2004, 10:33 PM
-
By rosea in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00