Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to do this at boot prompt

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2

    How to do this at boot prompt

    Hi guys,

    I am trying to boot Knoppix 5.3.1 Live CD on an old laptop. Long story short, it has the wrong resolution (640x480 instead of 1024x768.)

    USing screen=1024x768 does nothing, after using several other switches (including fb, vsync, hsync etc. etc.) all I managed was to get it to move it to the top left instead of the centre, although prior to X windows system being loaded, it acknowledged modes of 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480. (It does not acknowledge any mode other than 640x480 if I boot with default.)

    Anyway, so I decided to boot using expert, and I CAN get it to work perfectly in expert. However, I don't want to use expert mode each and every time I boot, and I can't see what switches I'm missing. So...here is what I did in expert. Can someone tell me what to type at boot prompt to get the equivalent?

    Expert mode Q&A:
    SCSI? n
    Additional modules? n
    Keyboard? n
    Sound? n
    Mouse? n
    Graphics? y
    - too many options to list, if I do not state it, I left it as default
    - X server driver trident
    - Use framebuffer
    - keyboard us
    - Unchecked 640x480, 800x600 under available resolutions (leaving 1024x768 only)
    - Horizontal synx 28-75
    - Vertical Sync 43-60
    - colour depth 16

    If I choose these options, X loads up fine as does KDE (with a full complete screen.) Using various switches at boot mode, I cannot achieve this.

    Can someone help me out by tell me what I should type at boot? I don't want to go through expert each and every time. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2
    Anyone? Please?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Have you tried the cheatcode xmodule=vesa (or xmodule=trident according to your reply in expert mode) ?

Similar Threads

  1. blacklist at boot prompt?
    By joekrahn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 05:16 PM
  2. Boot Prompt Loop
    By adamwest in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 06:56 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.4 can't get to boot prompt
    By abbynormal in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 03:24 AM
  4. Cannot type anything at boot prompt !
    By markraem in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
  5. Howto Get KDE login prompt at boot?
    By erp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 02:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1690.40



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Cybernetics 1TB-5 SATA III  picture

Cybernetics 1TB-5 SATA III 

$59.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$452.53



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



128TB External SSD USB 3.2 Type-C Backup Drive Hard  Drive PC Mac Android Videos picture

128TB External SSD USB 3.2 Type-C Backup Drive Hard Drive PC Mac Android Videos

$118.90