Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: boot errors on remastered knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3

    boot errors on remastered knoppix

    The past few days, I've been reading up on knoppix remastering. Today, I tried my hand for the first time. I tried to follow the guide step by step, but I've obviously made a mistake. When I boot my new iso with virtualbox using the line "knoppix 2", I get:

    Code:
    Creating unified filesystem and symlinks on ramdisk...aufs test_add:368:mount[1291]: different uid/gid/permission, /KNOPPIX
    >> Read-only CD system successfully merged with read-write /ramdisk
    Done.
    Starting init process.
    INIT version 2.86 booting
    #: bad interpreter: No such file or directoryfig: /bin/bash
    Setting the system clock.
    System clock set to: Tue Sep 30 14:53:20 CEST 2008.
    Setting the system clock.
    System clock set to: Tue Sep 30 14:53:21 CEST 2008.
    INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
    I don't know where to even begin to look for the error. It seems the new packages I installed are present, and I double checked to make sure /bin/bash DOES exist. In fact, if I login in to the console, I can do /bin/bash, and it gives me a nested prompt.

    When I built the image, my working directory was /home/lytithwyn/cdimages/remaster/, and I had subdirectories called source and master, just like the guide suggests. To build my KNOPPIX file, I used:

    Code:
    mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX" -publisher "username" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad ./ | nice -n 5 ./usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /home/lytithwyn/cdimages/remaster/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    Then, to make the image file, I used:

    Code:
    mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
       -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
       -hide-rr-moved -o /home/lytithwyn/cdimages/knoppix.iso /home/lytithwyn/cdimages/remaster/master

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    You've probably solved this by now as it was posted some weeks ago, but this reply may help someone in the future.
    If remastering, always post the howto you are using.

    I have successfully remastered knoppix 5.1.1 in the past, added software changed kde menues following this howto:

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3

    same guide

    I used that same guide. I ran out of time to work on it for a while, but I think I know what went wrong. I was trying to get mono working, which upgraded a LOT of stuff, including glibc. I think some of these package upgrades were breaking it, as ALL the guides I've read warned against upgrading large numbers of packages.

    It's not that big of a deal, since I was the one who wrote the program I needed mono for, and it was very small. I just ported it to c++, and when I get a chance I'll go back and try remastering.

    Thanks for the reply, though!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    I also run into the same problem intrying to update to kde 3.5.9 as some dependency wants to update glibc, which breaks the distro. However for a live distro kde3.5.5 is ok and I will stick at this version.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3

    encouraging

    It's encouraging that you had the same problem. That tells me I shouldn't have any more issues when I get a chance to go back and merge in my binaries now that I'm not upgrading anything.

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. udevd issue during boot of remastered Knoppix 5.1.1 cd
    By mrbizz8 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM
  2. /etc/ read-only errors on remastered boot
    By DunkyB in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM
  3. why my remastered Knoppix boot so slowly?
    By wen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2004, 10:57 PM
  4. Help!!! Remastered KNOPPIX image doesn't boot.
    By Yuriy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 11:37 AM
  5. Errors during knoppix boot
    By Kastor in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 11:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK -SEALED - OEM picture

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK -SEALED - OEM

$8.88



Vintage IBM 5140 PC Convertible Power Supply AC Adapter Charger 2684292 OEM picture

Vintage IBM 5140 PC Convertible Power Supply AC Adapter Charger 2684292 OEM

$39.99



IBM 5763-SS1 R02M00 AS/400 Cumulative PTFS Operating System/400 V3 LOT 6 OEM New picture

IBM 5763-SS1 R02M00 AS/400 Cumulative PTFS Operating System/400 V3 LOT 6 OEM New

$999.99



2025 NEW Genuine OEM BATTERY for IBM 00Y4643 00Y4594 90Y7689 90Y7632 V3700 V3500 picture

2025 NEW Genuine OEM BATTERY for IBM 00Y4643 00Y4594 90Y7689 90Y7632 V3700 V3500

$119.00



IBM OEM Genuine 1969-009 CD Driver  Untested As PARTS. Read Description. picture

IBM OEM Genuine 1969-009 CD Driver Untested As PARTS. Read Description.

$32.99



IBM 6450350 OEM PS/2 2-Button Ball Mouse NEW NOS Made in Japan picture

IBM 6450350 OEM PS/2 2-Button Ball Mouse NEW NOS Made in Japan

$19.99



IBM OEM Model DTTA-371440 14.4 GB 12V 500 A picture

IBM OEM Model DTTA-371440 14.4 GB 12V 500 A

$70.00



IBM OEM Genuine 1969-010 CD Driver  Untested picture

IBM OEM Genuine 1969-010 CD Driver Untested

$40.49



NEW IBM Lenovo T61 14in 4;3 NOT WIDE motherboard  T601F FRANKENPAD 44C3924 OEM picture

NEW IBM Lenovo T61 14in 4;3 NOT WIDE motherboard T601F FRANKENPAD 44C3924 OEM

$299.95



Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK OEM Genuine picture

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK OEM Genuine

$7.99