View Poll Results: Most suitable distro for my machine
- Voters
- 0. You may not vote on this poll
-
KNOPPIX doesn't load kernal
I am attempting to install linux on to 7360 Compaq Presario for the purpose of web hosting. I have xp on HD and want to run kNOPPIX to format but it does not start. Could it be I don't have enough RAM to run KNOPPIX?
-
You should state how much RAM your machine has. I did a quick google on 7360 Compaq Presario, and found one machine with Windows 98 and 64M, others up to 512M. That's really under the limit for most Linux distros. Try running Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux first. Also, if you have enough RAM (256M and up, preferably 512M), then you should go with Debian or Ubuntu. Knoppix is meant to be run as a live CD. Apparently installations can have problems when updating.
-
RAM
I did a memtest on machine and found 184mb. I did open box and found that there are two chips, can this machine be upgraded to 512mb? I suppose one is probably 64 and the other 112. They would both have to be replaced with 256mb chips. Do you know if this is possible?
-
Now I've done it
After attempting to install KNOPPIX and getting nothing I can now no longer get windows to boot either. Error reads:
"Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as:
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem."
I suppose the boot file is screwed up now.
Any suggestions. I need something to work.
-
I would say you have to look at upgrading your memory if possible. I wouldn't have thought that a PC would be sold with XP and only 184M. Again, go with Debian or Ubuntu, not Knoppix for an install.
Similar Threads
-
By rajeeva in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-14-2005, 03:23 PM
-
By n()()dle in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By Medicate in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
-
By amigaman2 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-17-2004, 12:12 PM
-
By zentu in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" Touchscreen i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$284.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...
$379.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.3" 2k Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 170 2025 - ...
$599.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Grade A Lenovo ThinkPad X260 12.5" Business Laptop i5-6300U 4GB RAM 256GB SSD
$350.00

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$249.99