Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: New to linux, help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4

    New to linux, help

    Please help, I'm trying to install vlc but I can't figure it out. I go to the debian download page on their site

    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-debian.html

    But theirs no download link all there is.

    deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main
    deb-src http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main

    I'm running knoppix off of a usb drive, how do I install vlc?[/url]

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Please see answer # 7.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    The only reason I ask is because when looking I find people saying add apt-get or something to your sources.list none of this is clear to me, I found I a source.list file and opened it in a text editor, added the lines, but it wouldn't let me save the file. Now instead of being upset that their is someone knew to something and just pointing him to the rules, how abut some points me toward a clear guide?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Please see answer # 7.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    You need to edit your sources list as the root user, then run

    apt-get upgrade ( as root as well )

    then you should be able to 'apt-get install vlc'

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    Thank you eadz. I'll try it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    No luck, I used sudo su in the terminal to be the root user. Then used apt-get update, after that apt-get install vlc. It downloaded a bunch of stuff, and began to install stuff, the wallpaper went black, and alittle after that, the terminal closed. What did I do wrong?

Similar Threads

  1. choosing the right linux dist (linux first time user)
    By blokk.m in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM
  2. Free World Linux, can you help bring Linux to the poor..
    By skitzojase in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 07:56 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
  4. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  5. Dizinha Linux, New project for "Small" Linux
    By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1690.40



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



HP Spectre x360 15 | Intel i7 | 32GB RAM | 1TB Storage | NVIDIA | Touchscreen picture

HP Spectre x360 15 | Intel i7 | 32GB RAM | 1TB Storage | NVIDIA | Touchscreen

$350.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$452.53



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



2026 NEW SGIN 15.6

2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C

$302.99