-
Junior Member
registered user
Internet surfing really slowly ... ... ...
Very weird problem. I'm using a Via Epia M1000 Mainboard with Via Nemiah 999MHz CPU and 512MB RAM So not really a fast setup.
But the internet connection is really really really slowly. I don't expect mind blowing performances but this is not normal... I have to wait more than a minute to get knoppix.net/forum on my screen. Whether I use Iseweasel or Konqueror or Lynx in a terminal doesn't really matter. Equally slow.
When I boot in winxp everything is normal with acceptable speeds, again not blazing but acceptable.
The bizarre thing? When I use "apt-get update" eg. I'm getting speeds at about 490kB/S
so my box is able to communicate at "high speed" but is refusing it when surfing the internet.
Can someone perhaps tell me how I can copy my hardware configuration and paste it here? Might be of some help. I'm using Knoppix 5.1.1 EN right now
Can't I use something like cat /proc/"hardewaresetup" > SetupTextTile ? I''m not really a diehard geek so no idea how to do that 
>EDIT: I tried /proc/kmsg but that seams to be really long and I can't get it in a text-file with
>EDIT 2
I've don a HDinstall, same problem and:
Getting smarter every minute: let's use lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8623 [Apollo CLE266]
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device aa01
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 8
Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP] (prog-if 0
0 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
Memory behind bridge: e6000000-e7ffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e0000000-e3ffffff
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (
rev 80) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 12
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
I/O ports at d000 [size=128]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
(rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
I/O ports at d400 [size=32]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
(rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 12
I/O ports at d800 [size=32]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
(rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
I/O ports at dc00 [size=32]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82) (prog-if 20 [EHC
I])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5
Memory at e8001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device aa01
Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/
C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device aa01
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
I/O ports at e000 [size=16]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 A
C97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device aa01
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine II] Embeded Ethernet Con troller on VT8235
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
I/O ports at ec00 [size=256]
Memory at e8002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: <access denied>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8623 [Apollo CLE266] integrated CastleRock graphics (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8623 [Apollo CLE266] integrated Cast leRock graphics
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at e7000000 [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
-
Senior Member
registered user
What does ifconfig show?
dmesg | grep eth
Look for things like 10 mbit or half duplex etc...
Although those things are for hardware checking... and if apt-get works at acceptable levels... your hardware/device driver is probably fine.
Doing a apt-get update is fine. If you do an apt-get upgrade, you will likely trash the installation. So don't do that. If you have already... well I would save the /home files you need, and re install. I did after apt-get upgrade messed mine up.
Similar Threads
-
By bharat in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-18-2006, 06:24 PM
-
By techz_boy in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-17-2005, 12:54 PM
-
By wen in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-17-2004, 10:57 PM
-
By debi in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:51 PM
-
By vincentfreeman in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$140.00

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Datto S3E12000 RACK SERVER 2U 2x Xeon E5-2670 v3 2.30GHz 32GB RAM 2x PSU 14 BAY
$399.95

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08