-
Random complete system freezes
Well,
as with every Knoppix version and every computer I tried, I get random freezes of the whole system, when trying to run DSL (which is also based on Knoppix).
Does anyone know what this cold be? Sometimes it hangs on boot, sometimes when the desktop is there, sometimes when installing it to a USB stick.
As I said, I have seen this for other Knoppix versions on other PCs too (especially Lapptops), which was basically, why I started using Kanotix at some point.
Regards,
fladd
-
Re: Random complete system freezes

Originally Posted by
fladd
Well,
as with every Knoppix version and every computer I tried, I get random freezes of the whole system, when trying to run DSL (which is also based on Knoppix).
Does anyone know what this cold be? Sometimes it hangs on boot, sometimes when the desktop is there, sometimes when installing it to a USB stick.
...
If you boot from USB, the problem may be USB disconnects that randomly occur. Just a split second at most.
The USB device changes from sda1 to sdb1 and that locks up the system.
The only fix I know of is to put knoppix dir or image on the HD (see poor man's install). DSL may be different.
This seems very frequent (weekly?) on both 5.1.1 and 5.3.1, with Flash drives or external HD's.
I have tried 3 computers, 3 drives, all fail. A big rsync often triggers failure (or install to USB).
Check your USB stick for overheating. I have returned a few that get hot and quit.
If you are booting the CD or DVD, the burn needs to be nearly perfect and the drive and CD/DVD very clean.
Try another brand of blank or another burn speed. If possible, burn the CD in the drive you will use right after cleaning it.
Similar Threads
-
By MikeAA in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-17-2006, 01:44 PM
-
By Jamesc359 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-07-2005, 08:22 PM
-
By paradigm_shift in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-15-2005, 05:09 AM
-
By JohnLloydJones in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-01-2005, 09:24 PM
-
By kriko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 13
Last Post: 11-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99