Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Mounting internal hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    1

    Mounting internal hard drive

    When I brought my computer to work the network tried to reformat it with the work image. I stopped it but I can't boot my computer up anymore. I want to try and run a knoppix cd and mount the internal drive and an external drive and recover my stuff and then either reinstall windows or linux or whatever.

    I've read a few forums and joined some email lists but I want to know exactly how to mount the drives. Do I just put the cd in, tell my computer to boot from the cd and that is it? Do I need to know any hardcore programming or anything specific?

    Does anyone have any advice? I'm nervous about doing this because I don't want to lose my data so anything anyone could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Depending on how far things got, Knoppix may not be able to find anything on the first partition of that system, or maybe not be able to mount them. Other partitions, if there are any, may be fine. Best thing to do is see if Knoppix can see anything before going much further.

    As to booting Knoppix, please see answer #1.

    If you are planning to write files to an external drive, don't use a NTFS formatted external drive. It should be FAT formatted for best results and to avoid corruption of anything that is already there. A much better way to recover files, (if there is anything to recover) is to attach the system to a network and transfer the file across the network to another computer. When I do this I install an FTPP server on another computer on the network and use Konquror under KNoppix as an FTP client to make the file transfers.

Similar Threads

  1. Copying from an internal hard drive to a USB thumb drive
    By bagmonkey in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 04:50 AM
  2. Not mounting Hard drive
    By savagemania in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 04:23 AM
  3. Trouble Mounting a Hard Drive
    By hadeschild in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 03:55 AM
  4. mounting hard drive
    By coffee_monster in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 01:58 PM
  5. Auto mounting Hard drive
    By jdtommy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 04:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE picture

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE

$149.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW picture

Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW

$450.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99