-
External HD Corrupted in Knoppix. AH!
So, I was doing a recovery of a drive on my desktop using my external HD, and at the end of the copy process, Konqueror gave me a bunch of cannot copy errors.
Now Windows can't read the drive and says it is corrupted, and Knoppix can do a 'dirty' mount.
Can I fix the drive? Its really important data. eeeek.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Is this external drive formatted in the NTFS format? If so Knoppix can't safely write to it. Yea, some people claim it can, but this is what happens.
If you reformat the external drive as FAT you can likely save the files to it again safely. As with windows it's important to shut down or unmount the drive before disconnecting it. And if you had anything else on that external drive that you "need", sorry but I know of no way to recover it.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
I'm actually not sure what the external is formatted in but I can still mount it and read it in linux, its just that in windows... nothing.
I think I'll try to get another external drive and copy the files to that in linux. Is that a advisable plan?
It seems like the file structure is still there.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
That's not the worst plan in the world, but if the new drive is formatted NTFS this may happen again. Here's a better plan: If you have another system (or a friend with another system), install an FTP server on that system. Network that system to the bad system with Knoppix. Transfer the files across the network to the other system by FTP, using Konquror under Knoppix as the FTP client.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
I would run 'testdisk' and under advanced option use recover boot record.
Similar Threads
-
By sco1984 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-01-2007, 04:25 AM
-
By valterespindola in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-02-2005, 08:10 PM
-
By virtualoverride in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-26-2005, 05:12 PM
-
By siddharth in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-02-2004, 08:28 AM
-
By georgewh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 13
Last Post: 07-20-2004, 03:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$275.00

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$225.00

Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET
$69.99

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI
$150.00

Digital Deli Apple Lisa Steve Jobs Blue Box MITS Altair 8800 Bob Moog Intel 4004
$48.00

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board
$675.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4
$59.99