-
In way over my head... networking apples and oranges
Knoppix is the best distro I've seen.
I'm a newbie, but I'm learning fast. Tried slackware, didn't like my hardware, and package management sucked, so I chose Knoppix. Configured all my hardware on the initial install. It's the best. 'Nuff said.
I have been the computer teacher at a small, private elementary school in Santa Monica. We have a mix-match bunch of computers... IMacs, Pentium I's, Pentium 4's, PowerPC's, and the like. We're running almost every Windows OS possible (except Windows NT, but we do have a 2000 machine) and the macs are pretty much up to date with OS 8.5 or above ... although we do have access to OS X
Ok, my goal this summer is to get them all networked together to allow printer/file sharing, hard drive backups, and any other cool server stuff that I could do. I don't need to host a website, but I would like to be able to access each computer, perform maintenence, have the kids save work from their terminals onto the server hd, and be able to access it from another computer.
I just need a push in the right direction... is it possible to link the computers aforementioned together? Help me out with a HOWTO or some sort of online book. I'm reading the "Linux Newbie Administrator's Guide" and the "Linux Cookbook."
Help me out please
Similar Threads
-
By rec9140 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-15-2005, 08:55 PM
-
By jpkennedy79 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 05:08 AM
-
By joedeck1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-24-2004, 12:27 PM
-
By anthonywandeto in forum Networking
Replies: 21
Last Post: 08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
-
By NYLinuxLover in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-12-2003, 06:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99