-
Junior Member
registered user
connecting 2 knoppix computers with crossover
Hi Can anyone tell me what I have to do (in bash) to connect two computers with a crossover LAN cable?
So far I did
ifconfig eth3 192.168.10.10 on one box and
ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.11 on the other box
in 192.168.10.11 i typed "fish://192.168.10.10" and it says that it doesn't work. What did I forget to do?
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could post the result of an ifconfig from both machines.
Open a Konsole and just type ifconfig. Here's mine. Notice it says UP.
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8D:4F:99:23
inet addr:192.168.1.110 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::250:8dff:fe4f:9923/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:545040 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:527401 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:209866582 (200.1 MiB) TX bytes:118292439 (112.8 MiB)
Interrupt:18 Base address:0xa000
You might be able to get away with
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth3 up
then try to ping the other machine.
Now about using fish://
I could be wrong, I never use the protocol myself... but I believe it requires the SSHD daemon to be running on at least one machine... the destination machine I would guess. And that requires some basic setup, I believe ssh-keygen makes the public/private keys on a per machine basis. And after you do that, as the root user I would guess, ssh may be able to manage the keys.
Let's see what ifconfig ethx up, and then a ping does.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I don't expect that just the ifconfig ... up commands are going to do it, you'll likely at least need to assign unique ip addresses (with netcardconfig and taking the "no" option for DHCP). However, if you have a router, use that, as it will do all of the assignments automatically (and you can use standard cables w/o the need for an xover cable). The systems don't have to actually be connected to the Internet for this to work. And if you don't have a router, shame on you, get one. They are extremely critical for safe Internet access (particularly if you ever run Windows, but Linux has it's vulnerabilities too). If you have a DSL modem with a built-in router but only one rj-45 jack, buy an inexpensive small 5 or 8 port switch rather than another router.
About the only reason that I could understand wanting to use a xover cable for this purpose is if you were still using dial-up. And even then, if it were me I would consider how long I intended to stay in the last millenium of technology and consider a cheap router rather than a xover cable for a local network.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes, netcardconfig will surely do it... which is available from the Knoppix icon on the Desktop's startbar(either quicklaunch or popup Kmenu.) No to DHCP as well. I use it a lot myself. Since the menuitem has changed from Knoppix 5.1.1 in 5.3.1... I'll hold of on the directions to find it... and say you can run netcardconfig from the K popup menu, and pick "Run Command", and then type in netcardconfig. It will allow you to enter the information manually. You would need to know what to say.
IP address:192.168.10.10
subnet MASK: 255.255.255.0
default GATEWAY 192.168.10.1( maybe 0.0.0.0 will not be rejected) though interesting to know if setting it to 192.168.10.11 works well.
DNS server 192.168.10.1 (same here for 0.0.0.0)
IP address:192.168.10.11
subnet MASK: 255.255.255.0
default GATEWAY 192.168.10.1( again... maybe 0.0.0.0 will not be rejected) and/or maybe setting this one to 192.168.10.10 or 11 if 10 causes a loop.
DNS server 192.168.10.1 (same here for 0.0.0.0)
This really depends on what you want to do once connected. If ping works, and you have setup the ssh daemons
(started by the root user executing /etc/init.d/sshd start) you should be able to do some basic things. If you get a router... you could use DHCP and save yourself a lot of troubles. Even a cheap one will do that for you. Harry is right. You should have one.
Similar Threads
-
By Aspra in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
-
By Claude Routhier in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 06:15 AM
-
By rail_man in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:05 PM
-
By 0x65destroyer in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-18-2003, 04:13 AM
-
By probono in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$166.49

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz 8GB RAM AMD Lexa GPU PWR Adapter
$120.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99