-
Ethernet not working...
Hi,
I am running 5.1.1 from LiveCD, and all is good. My machine is an old-ish IBM laptop, with an Intel combined ethernet and WLAN card. I am not epecting WLAN to work "out of the box", but am struggling even to get the ethernet connection to work. The card/cable/connection to the world is OK, as it works with WinXP.
On boot-up, I see something like:
Network device eth0 DHCP broadcasting for IP [backgrounded]
Network device eth1 DHCP broadcasting for IP [backgrounded]
Network device eth2 DHCP broadcasting for IP [backgrounded]
Not sure if this is normal, or what I should expect to see here.
Question: I assume one of eth0-2 is the ethernet connection, another is WLAN, but what is the third? Dial-up, maybe?
Anyway, with sudo netcardconfig, I tried to enable first eth0, then eth2 (the 2 that aren't WLAN, but which to choose, and why - so just guessing). No success.
I took the target IP address, subnet gate & gateway straight from the values shown by ipconfig \all in a DOS shell.
Question: netcardconfig asks for a broadcast address - what to use here? I used the value suggested by the tool, but truly no idea of the correct value.
>ipconfig \all gives me something like 00-0C-50-CF-0A-78
How do I map this to a broadcast address, or is it something different?
I thought (hah!) it was something like a bitwise OR on the target IP address, but I'm really not sure what to put here.
Bottom line: It doesn't work - no connection.
ifconfig -a shows:
. . .
Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 (or eth2) - operation failed.
Any suggestions on what I could try here?
Thanks v much/Pikelet
Similar Threads
-
By degarb1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-07-2009, 06:02 PM
-
By reub2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-26-2005, 01:32 PM
-
By phoenix07 in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
-
By LTCM in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 06:59 PM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 RAM/Memory 32GB(2x16GB) 36-36-36-96 1.35V
$385.00

SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM
$199.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY
$1200.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Micron MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2E1TI 64GB DDR4-3200AA-RB4-12 RDIMM Memory Module
$650.00

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT
$9.99