Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Not detecting usb memory stick

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kirkcaldy Fife Scotland
    Posts
    4

    Not detecting usb memory stick

    Firstly I'm sorry if any of this post appears stupid. I have tried search but probably my lack of using the correct terminalogoy has yielded no results.

    I have just started using Knoppix 3.6. I have also been reading the excellent Knowing Knoppix. As my journey in linux began I was trying to setup a persistent home directory. However I should be able to plug my memory stick in and select it of the KDE desktop.

    I've tried 4 different sticks so what am I doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance for any replies.

    Stewart

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    14
    why 3.6 ??

    with 5.3.1 you'll have he latest and a better chance of succes.

    if I (5.3.1 PDI) plug in a stick (USB) the system detects it and asks me what to do (click Cancel).
    by then there is a new icon on the desktop with the text Flash Disk (sdb)

    right click on the icon, select mount and next open (or a left click) and the contents is there.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kirkcaldy Fife Scotland
    Posts
    4
    Thanks. as is I'm sure is obvious my lack of knowledge with the entire Linux world is massive. The Knoppix cd I have was given to me. I have a limited monthly bandwidth aswell meaning downloading the most upto date version is not feasible.

    My digital camera is detected easily. Gave me false hope the stick might work this time.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by k666stw
    I have a limited monthly bandwidth aswell meaning downloading the most upto date version is not feasible.

    My digital camera is detected easily. Gave me false hope the stick might work this time.
    5.3.1 is (for the moment) only available as DVD, but 5.1.1, which should do well too, is available in CD-form.
    maybe someone else can download and burn a disk for you??

    regarding the camera, I'm faced with the opposite problem under linux: USB-stick OK, USB-camera problem reading (M$ W xp excactly the opposite).

    computers!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a HOWTO using CD with memory stick ?
    By Prayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
  2. Mounting a USB memory stick
    By pjafrombbay in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:58 AM
  3. usb memory stick problems
    By alex stacey in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:16 PM
  4. Run Knoppix from a 256 MB memory stick ?
    By i2hhj in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. Problem using USB memory stick
    By hgpuke in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 10:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$14.86



TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears picture

TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears

$99.99



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99