Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Failed "knoppix lang=us" on boot for live cd

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2

    Failed "knoppix lang=us" on boot for live cd

    Hi, I'm new to linux. I downloaded a knoppix 5.1 live cd in german. I tried to change the language to english at the boot menu using the command, "knoppix lang=us," however, the desktop doesn't load correctly as it does when knoppix is in german. Does anyone know why this is, and can I remedy this problem by installing knoppix permanently instead of running it from a live cd? Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I know of no reason that the desktop does not load correctly with the English cheat code, assuming that you managed to get the = typed (it's on a different key on a German keyboard). You will not fix anything by "installing" Knoppix to hard disk, likely a lot of stuff will break. But if you manage to get it working you'll learn a heck of a lot in the process. Personally I advise against it. If the desktop isn't working with english selected, I would suspect a bad download or high speed burn, but that's just a guess. The proper version to download for English default has an EN in the name, not a DE.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the help. Yes, I was aware that "=" is shift+0. Strangely enough, I got different results depending on which language I selected. For example when the cheat was "knoppix lang=es," for spanish, the desktop failed to load all the way, and instead kept reloading. I finally managed to get it to work (sort of) by using "en" in place of "us" to designate the english interface, however, this too created problems. I appreciate the help, but I've decided to retire that knoppix 5.1.0 live cd and get one prescribed by this web site via torrent.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 07:48 AM
  2. Where is the "Knoppix Live Installer" in Kno 3.8.2
    By OP4Latino in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 04:19 AM
  3. v3.7 failed boot, "no init found"
    By aldend123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 10:19 PM
  4. "Knoppix TestCD" 1 out of 58 failed HELP!
    By Guitar_Geek in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 04:26 AM
  5. "Formatting of failed" and "Opened disk read
    By shoka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14" 16GB 512GB, BLACK

$218.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i  CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD picture

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD

$245.00



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99