Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Trying to make video card driver setting persistent

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27

    Trying to make video card driver setting persistent

    It's probably something simple but I can't seem to figure it out. I have a GeForce2 Ti card. When Knoppix boots, it detects it as a GeForce2 GTS but installs the generic nv driver. So, I go into Kconfig, select periphials/X Server/Video Card and update it to the GeForce2 GTS (Rev 1) driver. I select yes when it ask me to save then I go into the "Knoppix - save configuration menu" and select everything. Presumably, this writes a file called "Config.tgz" on my hard drive.

    I then shutdown and reboot using "Knoppix home=scan myconfig=/mnt/hda1". The boot up messages indicate that it found and loaded the Config.tgz file but, when I go back into Kconfig, it's still using the generic nv driver.

    I've also tried "xmodule=nv" both with and without specifying home and myconfig locations. That also does not work.

    The only other things I can think of is boot to a lower run level (3, I think, bit I have to look it up -- I'm a bit of a newbie obviously), make my changes in Kconfig, then use cntrl-alt-backspace to get out of X and restart. Alternatively, I suppose I could start in runlevel 2 and use vi to manually edit the XF86Config-4 file before starting X.

    There has to be an easier way though. Can anyone help?

    Thanks,

    Joe

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27
    Apparantly, there is not an easier way....

    After searching for "DRI", "OpenGL", and "nVidia" on the forums it has become apparant that fixing this is pretty involved. As far as I'm concerned, Knoppix is a great Demo/Rescue/Maintenance distribution. However, if I'm going to involve myself with mucking around to get DRI and OpenGL up and running on my GeForce2 Ti, I would rather just install Debian as opposed to remastering Knoppix or turn it into a hard drive install.

    I will say this though, when I used Linux in the past I mostly went with FVWM2. KDE is really impressive by comparison. I'm anxious to check out Gnome and Ximian as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Change video driver
    By Matth in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 08:10 PM
  2. Video driver problem on very old pc
    By obsoleto in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 03:21 PM
  3. ATI Video Card driver
    By Stas in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 03:18 PM
  4. how to make a persistent DHCP client after a HD install
    By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 03:16 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Asus ROG Strix B460-H LGA 1200 ATX Intel 10th Gen DDR4 Motherboard picture

Asus ROG Strix B460-H LGA 1200 ATX Intel 10th Gen DDR4 Motherboard

$84.99