Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem?

    Backstory: Tried to upgrade from Win XP SP1 to SP2 so I could play Fallout 3. End result: BSOD every time Windows launches (guess I should have bought a legit copy). I figured I would use Knoppix to get my important files off the main OS partition, then wipe it and re-install XP.

    The Problem: When I try to run Knoppix regularly (no boot options) it says, "Loading linux...... Loading minirt.gz....." and then goes to a blank screen. When I run it with the failsafe option it gets past that point, spews out a bunch of presumably helpful information way too fast for me to read it, ultimately ending with:

    "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit."

    ...and a command prompt.

    It's a CD I burned a while back, is this likely to be a scratch on the CD or something? Or a hardware issue with my machine?

    The last couple lines that look like it's actually working on loading are:

    "Starting balanced_irq
    RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
    EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
    VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem)."

    Assistance very much appreciated!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I have not seen this error on a CD. I have seen it on DVDs, and there seems to be information starting to show up that there are some BOIS issues with some systems and Knoppix DVD booting that may cause this. In other cases it is just problems reading the DVD. I certainly could be problems reading a CD. Maybe a scratch, but (not knowing how you care for your CDs), I think it is more likely that the drive may be going marginal or that you did one of the things that is known to lead to problems: burn the CD at high speed. If you didn't burn the CD at slow speed (I suggest 4x but nothing faster than 8x), then I suggest making another disc. And, of course, check the md5 of the iso file before burning the disc.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    OK, I'll try burning a new CD. Thanks for the quick response!

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    By donkeyass in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
  2. Can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry.
    By Snifro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 12:26 AM
  3. can't find Knoppix filesystem
    By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
  4. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem
    By pskipw in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:16 AM
  5. Can't find Knoppix filesystem
    By befuddled in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC picture

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC

$27.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



CISCO CVR-X2-SFP10G X2 to SFP+ 10GB 74-6321-03 Converter Module *Lot of 14” picture

CISCO CVR-X2-SFP10G X2 to SFP+ 10GB 74-6321-03 Converter Module *Lot of 14”

$115.19