Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Samba Sharing?

  1. #1

    Samba Sharing?

    I'm trying to use Knoppix to recover some files from a dead install of Windows XP. All my partitions are formatted in NTFS, so I can't just move my files off the OS partition because all of them are read-only in Knoppix (supposedly I can write to them, but people apparently don't recommend it). My roommate has a server running Ubuntu with 2 drives that have plenty of space shared through Samba, but I can't seem to get at them. When I try to browse to them using the browse for the "Open Location" menu in Konqueror, I look under "Samba Shares" and I find Workgroup (which is what it's in, I could access them fine from Windows), but Workgroup times out when I try to access it.

    What can I do to try to connect to these drives, keeping in mind I know almost nothing about LInux? Sorry if this should be in the Networking section...

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    In theory you should be able to use samba. In pratice I've seen it sometimes work well and sometimes not. Let me offer another suggestion that may be a lot simpler than resolving the samba issue. Use FTP. Your roommate's system may already have a FTP server installed, if not you should be able to install and configure one easily. Once you have a FTP server up and running you can easily transfer the files that you want to save with Konquror as the FTP client in Knoppix. I'm not going to try to talk you through the exact steps for an FTP install and starting the srever, there should be plenty of other detailed info on the web.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Yeah, that should work. My roommate was already thinking about putting an FTP server program on there, so it shouldn't be hard to do that. Thanks again for the advice, Harry!

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Samba sharing hard drive
    By andrewwan1980 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 04:47 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 05:05 AM
  3. Stop Samba from sharing printers
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 08:22 PM
  4. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
  5. v3.3 sharing ntfs drive using samba
    By adamm in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00