-
HDMI sound problem
I'm having a problem with the HDMI connection from my laptop to my high def TV.
I have a DELL Inspiron 1525 laptop connected to a high def TV via the HDMI port
If I boot the machine using Windows XP Pro (which is what I have installed on the internal drive), the picture shows on the TV and the sound come out of the speakers on the TV.
But if I boot Knoppix (which I run from a 4GB Kingston Flashdrive), the picture shows on the TV but the sound still comes from the laptop (rather then from the speakers on the TV)
Most people are going to say "why not just use XP"
The answer to that is: When I use XP (to watch TV on the Internet), every so often the show (playing at the time) runs in... kind of slow motion. Its almost like the processor is having a problem rendering the picture.
It doesn't occur very long and it always speeds-up again but its very irritating.
When I run Knoppix, this problem never occurs (ie. The TV show plays smoothly all the way through)
But again, the sound continues to come from the laptop speakers (rather then the speakers on the TV)
-
Senior Member
registered user
This is something I have never tried before but maybe the problem should be divided as two,
1. To identify if the system has identified the presence of audio on HDMI
2. To channel the voice to the right audio device
For (1), you can try this command 'aplay -l' to see if there is 'HDMI' audio
For (2), you need to run 'alsamixer' and/or 'amixer' to channel the audio to the HDMI.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think that you should create a configuration file /home/knoppix/.asoundrc as described in the thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...l=1#post121157
If you want to use more than one audio device at a time then you should install pulse audio. It allows you to select the audio device in a comfortable way.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB, (4) HDD, EXCELLENT COND.
$625.00

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99