Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Does anyone else get this feeling? (Warning: [rant on])

Threaded View

  1. #20
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by daveca View Post
    "When it comes to a ISP, why does it matter what OS I run?"

    It makes no difference.

    Let me use my ISP (Ignorant Service Provider) as an example - Clearwire.

    CW, as an Employee explained to me, started up the Company great guns, got the money rolling, THEN FIRED ALL THE TECH STAFF.

    The reason one gets an ignorant response to a technical question is that no one hires (or can afford to hire) competent people because they are EXPEN$IVE.

    Its their JOB on the line, which is why they get defensive.They have cue cards and they read from them.

    ISP Tech: "did you try rebooting the computer"

    Me: "No, I just shoved a hot dog in the CD Rom drive and expected that to fix everything. Any more stupid questions?"
    Yeah, I sympathize with your feeling, I feel that way myself when dealing with Tech Support, often.

    Speaking as a former tech support coordinator for an ISP (a GOOD one, albeit not a leading edge provider), I'd say that ISPs generally can't support anything that isn't mainstream. They simply MUST staff for people calling in with NO (or minimal) tech knowledge (same problems over and over, no real challenge, but LOTS of time consumed), and when someone who knows more than they do calls in, they're likely to feel threatened. And it NEVER does any good to get upset (I used to remind myself of that constantly, people were often mad at me, even though we had done nothing wrong.) Since you're only ranting to us, your community online, not at the poor guy on the other end of the phone, I say "vent away!"

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    p.s. I use WinBlows as needed - for instance, my wife has difficult navigating unfamiliar applications, despite being both Mac and Win-PC savvy more than most, so if I leave my laptop set up in Knoppix, she's likely to try to use it and get frustrated - who knows what'll happen to me then? But it is useful to me as well, as I can access certain IE-only websites, use Win-only apps easily, etc. What I'd really like to get done is to force Winders into a VM so I can restart it instantly when it (as usual) blows up for no especially good reason, and switch back to Linux quickly w/o rebooting to use really reliable apps. So if I need to talk to them, I just boot up in Windows (or start/reboot my Win-VM, ) and then when can go hand-in-hand over territory they're familiar with, and I can get what I need from them without anyone being upset.
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 05-17-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Warning: Do not purchase from xplinux.biz
    By thegroover in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
  2. Cookie warning from KDE
    By lotech in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 05:58 PM
  3. WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By spacedude89 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 01:40 AM
  4. That warm fuzzy feeling..
    By obsoleto in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 04:46 PM
  5. rant from hopelessly newbie
    By nishtya in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



motherboard CPU combo am4 picture

motherboard CPU combo am4

$70.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99