-
Request for username and password after software upgrade!
I am trying to remaster Knoppix 5.3.0 in order to upgrade the audio software to be able to listen to most radio stations and to play downloaded audio streams.
That means upgrading most of the software in the "Multimedia" menu option.
I also want to upgrade the webbrowsers in Knoppix to eg. show maps provided as a result of a telephone number search (instead of showing only an empty square).
This often means an upgrade of the flash plug ins.
I have tried the upgrade process in three different surroundings, a "chrooted" source directory in preparation of the remaster, in a hd-install (the Knoppix CD-like option) environment and in a "fromhd" with a "persistent home image" environment.
The same thing happens again and again. This is what happens:
I do the software upgrade from KDE through Synaptic.
When the upgrade is done the programs start as expected.
When I restart Knoppix the problems however arrive.
Upon startup Knoppix now show a light blue display demanding a username and a login password.
I have tried to get around this anticipating the event and issuing a user "knoppix" password (sudo passwd knoppix) and also after the event "chrooting", setting a knoppix password.
When I have done this the light blue screen seems to seriously consider the password, then turn into a black screen with the familiar mouse pointer visible, but then reconsider and turn back to the light blue screen once more demanding a password.
I have not been able to find a way around this. I am also not eager to try issuing more user accounts. The problem does however not affect all upgrades.
I seem to be able to predict the trouble when "cups" functionality is involved. That is, when filenames containing the letter sequence "cups" occur in the upgrade process. When cups is not involved it is possible to restart knoppix without the impossible login demand. That means I am not able to upgrade Konqueror, Amarok, Kaffeine as an example but can upgrade Iceape, Iceweasel, Totem and Mplayer. I have only tried upgrading the audio software and the web browsers. Does anyone has an explanation to this odd behavior and hopefully also a solution.
Similar Threads
-
By Fatcharlie in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-10-2007, 08:51 PM
-
By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-16-2005, 12:00 PM
-
By stclaus in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 04:49 PM
-
By CallACD in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 04:12 AM
-
By Atoz in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00