-
Thanks hal8000 for the respons!
I will look into your suggestion and maybe also use apt-get from the command line not using the Synaptic gui.
The remastering process I experienced most successful is:
1. Start Knoppix from the original DVD with a "tohd" alternative, then creating a persistent knoppix.img.
2. Making the kde changes and other software upgrades in that environment.
3. Creating incremental knoppix.img backups along the way to get a smooth fallback.
4. When satisfied with the changes I do a "sudo knoppix-installer" in a terminal window with the "knoppix like from CD alternative".
5. That install brings along the changes and upgrades to the Hd-install.
6. Without ever starting the the Hd install I there make the etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig changes (language), the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession changes (add ".config" and delete "{.kde*,Desktop}" and delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
7. I then rsync (in the Hd install) /home/knoppix/ with /etc/skel.
8. From this Hd install I make the new master using "mkisofs".
9. If the new compressed Knoppix file gets to big (around 4 Gb) it is split into Knoppix and Knoppix2 (using exclude list and graft points). I believe one may also "mv" out the files intended for KNOPPIX2 if using exclude list and graftpoints gets to "messy". In the case of big files I run the new Knoppix from a DL DVD.
10. I have also experienced that "mkisofs" did not like to work from the reiserfs with the Hd install.
11. In that case I simply created a new source from the Hd install as is done when copying files from the original DVD (according to the remastering WIKI).
12 From the new source I then do the compressing with mkisofs.
It was in step 2 I experienced the problem with upgrading software, that is, in the first orignial environment when no remastering efforts were made.
I upgraded about 4 audio applications, Ice Weasel and Ice Ape and added Mozilla mplayer and Flash plugins for Ice Weasel. That went well. I had to back off any upgrades (order in the upgrading sequence was of no significance) that promised to change (cups functionality - printing I believe) lib*.*- files that contained the letter sequence "cups" or else I got stuck with the Knoppix login prompt. Amarok was such an example, Konqueror another.
Similar Threads
-
By Fatcharlie in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-10-2007, 08:51 PM
-
By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-16-2005, 12:00 PM
-
By stclaus in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 04:49 PM
-
By CallACD in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 04:12 AM
-
By Atoz in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p
$89.99

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch
$179.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99