-
hostname fixed to Knoppix even after reinstall of OS
Hi All
No matter what I do, I can not get the hostname to change from Knoppix.
Tried reformmatting HDD, installing Mandrake & RedHat and running fdisk/mbr.
Slightly worried Knoppix download had been hacked!!!!!
Either BIOS or virus ?
I am using Blueyonder in UK with a cable modem Surfboard SB4100
Stuart
-
Senior Member
registered user
Did you edit
/etc/hostname
-
I ran linuxconf in Mandrake 9.1 to try and reset the name, but after reboot it goes back to Knoppix.
I am thinking BIOS or EPROM on the cable modem, even powering down the modem for a longish period does not make a difference.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
StuartP
I ran linuxconf in Mandrake 9.1 to try and reset the name, but after reboot it goes back to Knoppix.
Not sure I follow you. Are you booting the Knoppix cd or working from a hard drive installation? If you're booting the cd then you need to save your configuration. The Docs link at the top of the page can get you everything you need to know.
-OR-
Are you telling me that simply booting the Knoppix cd causes your hard drive installed Mandrake hostname to change? If so why don't you just go edit whatever file in Mandrake has your hostname as root, and make sure it gets saved. Sometimes those config tools don't always do what you think they do. Of course- who knows it is experimental software afterall.
-
I was booted of a CDROM, since then Knoppix is somehow stored somewhere.
Even after a fresh install to HDD of other OSes, which should clear all references to Knoppix.
Similar Threads
-
By turbine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 05:02 AM
-
By Josh83 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 02:29 PM
-
By kclawson in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-03-2003, 02:18 AM
-
By benpark22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 07:49 PM
-
By linuxgrilla in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 04:38 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3
$185.00

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black
$44.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120
$999.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed
$89.99

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99