Did you edit
/etc/hostname
Hi All
No matter what I do, I can not get the hostname to change from Knoppix.
Tried reformmatting HDD, installing Mandrake & RedHat and running fdisk/mbr.
Slightly worried Knoppix download had been hacked!!!!!
Either BIOS or virus ?
I am using Blueyonder in UK with a cable modem Surfboard SB4100
Stuart
Did you edit
/etc/hostname
I ran linuxconf in Mandrake 9.1 to try and reset the name, but after reboot it goes back to Knoppix.
I am thinking BIOS or EPROM on the cable modem, even powering down the modem for a longish period does not make a difference.
Not sure I follow you. Are you booting the Knoppix cd or working from a hard drive installation? If you're booting the cd then you need to save your configuration. The Docs link at the top of the page can get you everything you need to know.Originally Posted by StuartP
-OR-
Are you telling me that simply booting the Knoppix cd causes your hard drive installed Mandrake hostname to change? If so why don't you just go edit whatever file in Mandrake has your hostname as root, and make sure it gets saved. Sometimes those config tools don't always do what you think they do. Of course- who knows it is experimental software afterall.
I was booted of a CDROM, since then Knoppix is somehow stored somewhere.
Even after a fresh install to HDD of other OSes, which should clear all references to Knoppix.

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99
Dell PowerEdge R720 Server 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHz 64 GB RAM No OS No HDD Read-
$239.95