-
Gigabyte onboard LAN not working
Hi all,
I am new to Knoppix and Linux having spent a few days experimenting after buying new hardware. The choice was simple, try and get another copy of XP Pro off Ebay (£50) (I am not a lover of Vista) or put the Knoppix CD in the drive. Due to being a bit broke (new hardware) I put that CD in the drive, and I am damn glad I did.
I got an old USB key (1gb) working instead of the CD and from then on I was hooked.
Yesterday I set up Knoppix on a 5gb partition on an 80gb ide drive.
Today I have been tweaking everything, I think the time and locale setup is much better than, er who was that company again? o yes MS.
My hardware
the motherboard is Gigabyte GA73PVM S2H
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 Ghz, 1333 FSB,6MB L2 Cache
2 X 2Gb Mem
Total cost £240
Question
The onboard ethernet won't work, I had to use a network card. As this board has only 2 PCI slots thats half of them gone already.
It would be preferable to use the onboard ethernet but ...
Is it because its too new?
LAN RTL 8211B chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
I might be better off with a board with a lot more PCI slots?
Anyway thanks for this great forum, I could not have got anywhere without it.
Cheers,
David
Similar Threads
-
By curaga in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 18
Last Post: 09-17-2006, 03:16 PM
-
By reub2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-26-2005, 01:32 PM
-
By psychopath in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 09:27 PM
-
By marshalx in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-05-2004, 09:36 AM
-
By Mica in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 03:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99